Updating Midnight Commander

Story: Midnight Commander wakes from deep sleepTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
kenholmz

Feb 03, 2009
1:28 AM EDT
Recently there was a link to a posting about reading compressed files on Linux.

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/tips/6653/1/

I appreciate the information on using the command line. However, being a rather poor typist and a bit lazy, I have used Midnight Commander to read compressed files since I first installed Redhat 5.2. With the various compression utilities installed MC works quite well for this and other tasks. I use MC at almost every sitting and it is rare that it disappoints me. As such, I look forward to upgrading MC, even if it only contains minor bug fixes and enhancements.
techiem2

Feb 03, 2009
2:09 AM EDT
same here! It's nice to see that MC is still alive and kicking.
hkwint

Feb 03, 2009
11:50 AM EDT
Recently I have been using Krusader as a 'replacement' of Midnight Commander, but nonetheless I might start using Midnight Commander again sometime. The only thing is I find it rather hard to make macro's in MC; it's easier using (ba)sh.
techiem2

Feb 03, 2009
3:01 PM EDT
I could never find a gui mc clone that "felt right" to me. And the fact that I spend most of my time in a 6+ console screen session anyway... mc combined with a few shell scripts makes life wonderful.
Steven_Rosenber

Feb 03, 2009
7:03 PM EDT
I almost always install mc. On my laptops in OpenBSD, I finally found the menu in mc where you can re-map the keyboard so the function keys work properly. I never had a problem in X, but in the console the whole thing just went to seed ... until I found this easy fix (and I will write it up at some point soon, I hope).

kenholmz

Feb 04, 2009
2:03 PM EDT
@hkwint et. al.

I have also enjoyed using Krusader in recent times, but I expect I will always install and use MC as long as I can.

@Steven Rosenberg

I look forward to your write up.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!