Linux/FOSS angle missing?

Story: Why Does Everyone Heart Boxee?Total Replies: 9
Author Content
gus3

Feb 07, 2009
11:53 PM EDT
I see neither mention of the OS platform for Boxee, nor any mention of Linux, BSD, or even Windows. Honestly, the story reads like a PR release.
Sander_Marechal

Feb 08, 2009
4:24 AM EDT
Huh? First sentence of the article:

Quoting:The buzz has been building for Boxee lately. Mainstream news outlets like The New York Times, BusinessWeek and NPR are getting hip to the little open-source media center that could quite possibly change the way you experience TV.

Emphasize:

Quoting:the little open-source media center
gus3

Feb 08, 2009
9:08 AM EDT
Fine, if it's Open Source, let them state what platform it is. Until they do that, I will only think they're using the term "open source" as a PR buzzword. A reasonable assumption, given that "buzz" is the very second word in the article.
tuxchick

Feb 08, 2009
11:37 AM EDT
It's more "too chicken to say Linux" reporting.
ColonelPanik

Feb 08, 2009
11:39 AM EDT
Any luck with this Boxee thingie? What does it work with? If/when it works do you like it.
azerthoth

Feb 08, 2009
1:33 PM EDT
Gus3, this is hardly the first article about boxee to grace LXer. But since you cant seem to type 'boxee linux' into google, but would rather gripe:

http://blog.boxee.tv/2008/07/22/linux-version-is-available
ColonelPanik

Feb 08, 2009
5:11 PM EDT
Boxee is in the perfect Ubuntu 8.10 suppositories. Installed using Synaptic. Boxee no workee.
tuxchick

Feb 08, 2009
6:27 PM EDT
LOL suppositories :D
gus3

Feb 09, 2009
1:56 PM EDT
"Ubuntu suppositories.

"For when Windows is being a PITA."

az, I've seen enough "articles" that are intended only to drive clicks. Heck, I've even written a couple. That one read like it was written by a marketing droid. That's why I didn't want to click.

Just call me Mister Passive-Aggressive. At least this time.
NoDough

Feb 10, 2009
9:50 PM EDT
I created an account and logged in about a week ago. Haven't had opportunity to use it yet. While I was lookin' around, I noticed they had software downloads available for Linux and Mac, but no Windows.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!