Could be fun

Story: Microsoft sues TomTom over Linux and other patent claimsTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
hkwint

Feb 25, 2009
8:26 PM EDT
Let's hope they ask OIN for help. They focus on 'mobile application of Linux' as they themselves stress. In the left corner: TomTom (defendant), Philips, Sony, IBM and RedHat, and Novell and Google are also in OIN. In the right corner: Well, just Microsoft.

ed: I just tried to mail OIN about this issue asking their opinion. Let's hope they mail back, but probably they will not because I'm not personally / corporately involved and already confessed to them I'm just an amateur-journalist.
henke54

Feb 25, 2009
9:36 PM EDT
also slashdotted :http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/02/25/232212

i have a tomtom , and the funny thing with TT is that although they (TT) use linux in their gps apparatus , you cannot update it with linux , you have to have a PC with winblowz to update it ... once i emailed them, and they emailed me back with an answer that "it was not possible to update with a linux comp" ... ;-P ........"what comes around,goes around"...
softwarejanitor

Feb 25, 2009
9:45 PM EDT
Sorry to hear that you can't update a TomTom with Linux. If that wasn't the case I'd probably buy one just to support them in this case. At any rate I certainly hope they win and Microsoft's patents get annulled.
henke54

Feb 26, 2009
10:45 AM EDT
Quoting:If Microsoft attempts to broadly enforce this patent against Linux users and vendors, the Open Invention Network (OIN) might decide to invoke the so-called "nuclear option" and retaliate with its own massive arsenal of software patents. The OIN, which was founded to assemble a defensive patent portfolio for protecting Linux and some open source technologies, includes patents on basic principles of computing including networking, e-business, and bytecode compilation.
http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2009/02/microsoft-sues...

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!