Here is another dirty...

Story: Linux's dirty little secret: UninstallTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
land0

Mar 14, 2009
11:00 AM EDT
...Little "Linux" secret. It's free as in freedom! Can you believe that! The nerve of all of those developers and documentation folks who donate most of their time to freedomware! Oh sure you know the ones I am talking about, the kind of people who are all about forward thinking and are more concerned about the quality of the applications that they contribute some of their free time to.

What? Who me write that obviously needed piece of documentation? Wha... oh the nerve at even suggesting that! So what if I did the research and found what I think is a bug!

---

Yet another bug identified! We do not descrininate who points out a bug. We do ask that you be willing to be part of the solution. :)

I am going to send the author an email of thanks and inviting him to contribute to the documentation to sqaush this dastardly bug. Once and for all!

I will post back here with my progress if any.
techiem2

Mar 14, 2009
1:17 PM EDT
Why does an OS need an uninstall anyway? I always thought the method of uninstalling an OS was nuking the partition and rewriting the bootloader....
jdixon

Mar 14, 2009
1:38 PM EDT
Snort. First, because it's obvious to anyone who knows what they're doing (no, I don't include him in that group). Second, try finding the directions for unisntalling Windows on Microsoft's site. Do you suppose he'll be writing an a equivalent article about Windows any time soon?
jdixon

Mar 14, 2009
1:40 PM EDT
> I always thought the method of uninstalling an OS was nuking the partition and rewriting the bootloader....

It is. You can also add deleting the partitions and resizing the remaining ones if you want. You can also add securly deleting the old data first if you want.

Like I said, it's obvious to anyone who knows what they're doing.
gus3

Mar 14, 2009
1:56 PM EDT
I suppose Scott posted this one for the "ignorant FUD which must be answered" quality.
jdixon

Mar 14, 2009
1:57 PM EDT
A second discussion on this article points out that there is an article about removing XP available on Micorosoft's site, but it appears to concern removing an upgrade from Windows 98 and reverting to the old OS. Which is not what the author is talking about.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!