xena?

Story: Linux Command Line Terror! But....Why?Total Replies: 28
Author Content
moopst

Mar 19, 2009
4:08 PM EDT
Quoting:Want to know your computer's name?

$ hostname xena

Xena? Really, Xena? Oh, wait a minute

$ hostname frodo

Nevermind.
gus3

Mar 19, 2009
4:37 PM EDT
Joseph (desktop), Mary (gateway), Peter (SPARC), Joachim (old laptop), Anna (other old laptop), Paul (AMD64 X2, took my desktop to the next level), James (the Lesser, the EeePC)...

I think you can see where this is going.
techiem2

Mar 19, 2009
4:45 PM EDT
Firewall (firewall/game server), Cthulhu (file/print server), Games (vm server...used to be a gaming machine...I'll rename it one of these days), Techiem2 (server vm - I've traditionally used my handle for the server), Serenity (Desktop), Escape-Pod (laptop), Lexx (Neo Freerunner)
tracyanne

Mar 19, 2009
4:48 PM EDT
I just name mine after the brand of computer. except the file/print server which gets called main
herzeleid

Mar 19, 2009
5:10 PM EDT
I tend to name my machines after sci-fi books or movies - freeside, armitage, case, neuromancer, wintermute, ninsei, chiba, neo, trinity, cloverfield...

Most of these names will most likely draw a blank from the average bloke, but it's always fun when somebody gets it and makes a hip insider reference.
NoDough

Mar 19, 2009
5:14 PM EDT
Sam Norm Cliff Diane Rebecca Carla Woody Coach Frasier Lillie

That was a former workplace, my current workplace uses boring names.
techiem2

Mar 19, 2009
5:38 PM EDT
Quoting:Most of these names will most likely draw a blank from the average bloke, but it's always fun when somebody gets it and makes a hip insider reference.

Yup. That's half the fun of using odd names.
mortenalver

Mar 19, 2009
6:11 PM EDT
My wireless network is called Brachionus.
Sander_Marechal

Mar 19, 2009
6:27 PM EDT
Tweety (desktop), Sylvester (main server), Pinky (from Pinky and The Brain, modem), Marvin (The Martian, laptop), Speedy (Gonzales, managed switch). I also have a VoIP box but I can't set a hostname for it. The webinterface only works when using the IP address :-(
caitlyn

Mar 19, 2009
7:00 PM EDT
Mine are named from former pet ferrets, ones that passed away years ago:

I have Adric, Nyssa, and Romana at the moment.
ColonelPanik

Mar 19, 2009
8:14 PM EDT
Thanks, I feel much better about myself now.
jdixon

Mar 19, 2009
8:43 PM EDT
Tanelorn, Mouse (a windows machine), Auk (dual boot), Otter (a windows machine), Zebra, and Walrus (a Windows machine). My personal machine is always Tanelorn. We also have an older Freedos based machine not currently in use which we call Dodo.
jdixon

Mar 19, 2009
8:45 PM EDT
> My wireless network is called Brachionus.

Ours is The Raven's Roost. since Meredith maintains the website ravendays.org. Our wired network is called Unicorn.
caitlyn

Mar 19, 2009
8:47 PM EDT
"Too big to fly, dodo ugly so dodo must die, Doggo with fear on its side, can't change, can't change the tide. Dog baiter, agitator, asking questions, says he wants to know why. Ain't no reason that money can't buy. Mink he pretty so mink he must die, must die, must die. Sun he giving life in his light, Part of the system, Friend to man, friend to the trees, No friend to the snowman. Where does he go, what does he do? Does he meet with the mole, the stream, the cloud And end up at the bottom of the sea..."

Sorry, I couldn't resist. That's what came to mind when I read jdixon's post.

Those are the first section of the lyrics from Dodo/Lurker by Genesis. Lyrics by Phil Collins.
hkwint

Mar 19, 2009
9:06 PM EDT
Mine is called in a way so I'm sure (most) foreigners cannot pronounce it: Ghans.

But hey, I feel ashamed having only 1 physical box (runs both VMWare, wine _and_ kvm&qemu now though). Obviously in the wrong place here at LXer.

BTW is XenA the unprivileged sister of DomU?
gus3

Mar 19, 2009
10:07 PM EDT
But Hans, you can claim that you are far "greener" than most of us. You've found a way to maximize your hardware's usefulness, rather than just go out and buy more... er, buy new hardware.
jezuch

Mar 20, 2009
3:04 AM EDT
$ hostname zx-spectrum-1

(no, not really, it's an Athlon X2 ;) )
tuxtom

Mar 20, 2009
4:17 AM EDT
bluto, dday (DB) flounder, deanwomer (MX, DNS) otter, boone, niedermeyer (WWW) stork (JMS)

...there were several more that I forget. It's been a while since I worked on that network...brings back some good memories in more ways than one.

My essid (dd-wrt) is "BigBrother".
gus3

Mar 20, 2009
10:56 AM EDT
I was war-riding in Silicon Valley one day and found "virus laden network".
ColonelPanik

Mar 20, 2009
12:44 PM EDT
gus3: So you clicked on it?
number6x

Mar 20, 2009
1:22 PM EDT
national parks

gus3

Mar 20, 2009
1:29 PM EDT
Click? What's this "click"? iwconfig FTW!

I tried to catch it on stdout, but we were out of range just that quickly. And turning around and going back wasn't an easy option on rails.
moopst

Mar 20, 2009
2:32 PM EDT
frodo carries great evil with him. It's my old Micron dual boot with Win98 and zenwalk. I keep it around for the nice soundcard it has to digitize my vinyl collection.

When the micron boots Windows he's billthecat, after the bloom county character who coughs up hairballs all the time (and Bill Gates).

harpo is the HP named after the Marx Bros. character.

manoa is one I built for my sister who lived in the Manoa valley in Hawaii for 12 years

The laptop is celeborn

The wireless essid is "pizza fan" after a line from the Queen song "Bicycle"

My first Linux machine was opus - the penguin from bloom county.
gus3

Mar 20, 2009
2:42 PM EDT
One OS to rule them all, one OS to find(1) them, One OS to bring them all, and in the darkness bind(2) them.
techiem2

Mar 20, 2009
3:25 PM EDT
gus3: The MS Mission Statement?
gus3

Mar 20, 2009
7:38 PM EDT
No, that would be:

"It looks like you are making a Ring! Would you like help?

o Get help making a ring for Dwarves o Get help making a ring for Elves o Get help making a ring for Men [X] Just tell Frodo to mind his own business"
Bob_Robertson

Mar 21, 2009
12:02 PM EDT
> Tanalorn

Oh wow, serious flash-back time. THank you.

My systems are named for kids I didn't have, since my wife didn't like the names I thought of by myself. Stephani, Dierdre, Corwin

Gateway was named for function, rather than form. :^)
azerthoth

Mar 21, 2009
1:25 PM EDT
Nicola and Tesla (Laptops that connect only via wireless to the network) Bedantor (a mix of letters from the first names of my wife and kids) the family computer. OLPC (the gutted and rebuilt now ubuntu file/print/RAS server) Beast (My main, with no guarantee as to which OS its set to default to at any given time) Fidget (In process of becoming a media center)
jdixon

Mar 21, 2009
5:44 PM EDT
> Oh wow, serious flash-back time. THank you.

In which case you could probably hack my personal machine fairly easily, as you're probably familiar with all of the base passwords. :)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!