At least this article...

Story: Netbooks, Google Android Look to Thrive Despite the EconomyTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
caitlyn

Apr 16, 2009
4:21 PM EDT
...correctly identifies Android as Linux. Too many make it seem like Google has invented their own OS.

I don't get why tech "journalists" feel like they have to quote the now seriously debunked MS claim of a 96% market share on netbooks, though.

I love these articles that quote claims about what the market would be like in 2012. How many people saw the current economic downturn coming in 2004? How many saw netbooks coming in 2003-2004?
Steven_Rosenber

Apr 16, 2009
4:42 PM EDT
I might be alone, but I think having a Google-branded FOSS-derived OS is a win-win for FOSS operating systems and software across the board.

Once you get someone to sample platforms they're not accustomed to, it gets that much easier for them to explore further and go beyond Android to other OSes and applications.
tuxchick

Apr 16, 2009
4:47 PM EDT
Linux is a dirty word, Caitlyn. Another example is Palm's Pre OS, which is Linux. But they are very careful to call it WebOS, and you can cruise Palm's web site until your eyes bleed without seeing any mention of Linux in connection with the Pre.

Why don't these goons just use something BSD-licensed?
tuxtom

Apr 17, 2009
4:04 AM EDT
Quoting:Too many make it seem like Google has invented their own OS.
Kinda like Apple, huh?
azerthoth

Apr 17, 2009
12:47 PM EDT
Shouldnt that be GNU/Pre and GNU/Android ... just making gnuisance of myself.
tuxchick

Apr 17, 2009
12:51 PM EDT
ow @ az. Ow ow ow. Oh, and pain.
caitlyn

Apr 17, 2009
1:46 PM EDT
Tuxchick: I'm quite certain RMS would agree with az. Look at how much of a big deal he makes about GNU/Linux vs. plain old Linux.
gus3

Apr 17, 2009
2:09 PM EDT
az: Only if you're using gNewSense.
azerthoth

Apr 17, 2009
2:40 PM EDT
bah, you knew the new gnu branding use too good to be true.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!