Amazing

Story: How not to play with "Open" license.Total Replies: 6
Author Content
theboomboomcars

Apr 27, 2009
11:34 PM EDT
So the iMagic people can license their code with that EULA, but they cannot relicense someone else's with it. If they decide to license their code with it, they may not be able to distribute it with GPL code.
caitlyn

Apr 28, 2009
1:34 AM EDT
They are distributing it with GPL code, as are all the other proprietary distros (think Xandros, Turbolinux, et al). So far as I understand the GPL there is nothing stopping them from doing this. The license simply doesn't apply to any GPL code in their distro. It applies to any proprietary code they include, of course, which is packaged together with GPL code.
theboomboomcars

Apr 28, 2009
11:24 AM EDT
Yes, but their EULA doesn't mention the GPL, or that the vast majority of the code isn't under those restrictions. I don't know what their code is, or how the laws work exactly, but if they have modified, or added code in certain ways, they have to release it under the GPL. They are welcome to add proprietary bits to their linux, and charge what ever they want for it. But they cannot, as implied by their EULA, change the license to code they do not own, and if there code falls under the restrictions in the GPL, they cannot distribute it under another license.
Bob_Robertson

Apr 28, 2009
12:45 PM EDT
Shouldn't such an EULA state something like, "Your use of iMagic's proprietary code..." which applies to their product?

Not mentioning that most of what they're selling is GPL seems silly, unless they're trying to mislead.

Maybe just letting them know would suffice.
theboomboomcars

Apr 28, 2009
1:32 PM EDT
Thanks Bob, that is what I was trying to say.
tracyanne

Apr 28, 2009
5:08 PM EDT
I read through their EULA, and it makes heavy mention of the GPL and other licenses, including having a copy of the GPL text. It seems to be no different than any other commercial Linux Distributors License (Mandriva, Red Hat, Linspire, Xandros). Personally I think this is a storm in a teacup, and a beat up.
caitlyn

Apr 28, 2009
9:50 PM EDT
I agree with ta on this one. There is nothing wrong with their license AFAICT. I just don't want to accept it so I won't use their distro.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!