GUI tutorials

Story: Terminating a Bad AssumptionTotal Replies: 9
Author Content
tuxchick

May 01, 2009
10:38 PM EDT
Creating such a tutorial would be pretty easy with an app like recordmydesktop. Geeks keep forgetting that computers are 100% literal, so when you're teaching computer stuff you have to be 100% literal. Because the computer isn't going to discern your intent, but stare at you blankly when you make a mistake.
gus3

May 01, 2009
11:06 PM EDT
Yeah, I saw the article about desktop recorders. If that isn't serendipity, I don't know what is.

BTW, it was your comment (quoted in my article) that convinced me to take my idea public. I was going to ask you next about it in private, but your public comment convinced me it was time to follow suit.
Sander_Marechal

May 06, 2009
10:50 AM EDT
Quoting:Creating such a tutorial would be pretty easy with an app like recordmydesktop

What good would that do? How is my 78 year old neighbour going to see or use that tutorial? I need something I can print out, staple together and give to my neighbour.
hkwint

May 06, 2009
10:55 AM EDT
Maybe put it on VHS or DVD. Though I'm sure not everybody with age 78 can use DVD.
Sander_Marechal

May 06, 2009
12:10 PM EDT
I can't staple DVD's together ;-)
gus3

May 06, 2009
12:17 PM EDT
@Sander:

A tutorial is interactive, allowing the learner to demonstrate skill and competence in the subject matter. Doing that for a WIMP environment is not appropriate for a DVD, much less VHS.

The tutorials for VIM are an excellent example of what I mean.
Sander_Marechal

May 06, 2009
2:32 PM EDT
Ah! But a screencast couldn't do that either! You'd need to build a WIMP application to do that. Something that is interactive. Something that can take control of the mouse cursor and move it to show the user as an example.
hkwint

May 06, 2009
3:16 PM EDT
Quoting:Something that can take control of the mouse cursor and move it to show the user as an example.

I'd know how to make such a thing for Windows (AutoIt3), but how would you do that in Linux?
gus3

May 06, 2009
4:16 PM EDT
Sander:

The screen recording is only the beginning. Yes, it needs to be a full application; playing the videos is just part of it.

But the need for such an interactive tutorial is beyond question, as I have confirmed privately with a few LXers in positions to know.
Sander_Marechal

May 06, 2009
4:20 PM EDT
@hans: Try XAutomation: http://www.hoopajoo.net/projects/xautomation.html

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!