oh lordy

Story: HMR group possibly stealing the Ubuntu LogoTotal Replies: 32
Author Content
tuxchick

May 16, 2009
6:39 PM EDT
If you're bored, read the thread. I gave up after the second page. "It's a ripoff, so I'm complaining here in the forum!" "Did you notify Canonical?" "No! I would rather rant here!" "I superimposed the two logos, and the colors are slightly different so it's not a ripoff." "Is too." "Is not." "We should flame and shame them!" "Did you notify Canonical?" "No! They should know better!"

and so it goes..........
tracyanne

May 16, 2009
8:18 PM EDT
I shake my head in wonder some days, maybe I'm just getting old. There seems to be so many dills out there, it's really hard to believe. Ther other day I was in contact with the New Jersey Ubuntu Loco (a poncy name if ever for a LUG, but that's not my point) , and the bloke that runs the Loco seems intelligent interesting and level headed, he impressed me as someone of worth, and I passed him on to a lady I've been communicating with, who lives in New Jersey, who has decided she would rather no longer have Windows on her computer, and is very interested in try Ubuntu or Kubuntu.

Then, in complete counter point, this moring I get an email, an obvious fake security alert, and if the title of the "alert" "VERY VERY IMPORTANT - READ THIS NOW - THIS IS NO JOKE" doesn't alert you to that fact, than I feel sorry for you too, that had been passed on to me, after virally working it's way through nearly every Windows user in the World, from one of my lesser able linux converts (I converted him to Linux because I was tired of fixing his virus infections.. he's not the brightest star in the galaxy), who was very worried that I might get my Identity and passwords stolen by the subject of the email, but that doesn't say much for all the people this email passed through before it got to me.

I can probably expect that sooner or later I will start getting spam addressed to the address my friend posted to me at, as he and all those people pror to him, and all those other people he passed it on to will simply forward it, with my address and his, and all the prior address intact, and eventually as these things do ( by the law of degrees of separation, which this depends on) it will end up getting back to the originator, who will add all those addresses collected to their spam database.

Then there's this, nobody it seems wants to take the initiative, and contact Canonical, they'd rather just blather on about it, rather than ooo, I might embarrass myself by reporting something that someone else has already reported, and so it seems no one does.

sorry needed a dummy spit.
tuxchick

May 16, 2009
9:59 PM EDT
Poor TA! Blathering on is certainly a human affliction, like the dills (thank you for an excellent word) who want to waste your expensive billable hours with long boring rants about how stupid computers are and how they're not getting any work done, instead of giving a to-the-point report of their problem. I guess it's more fun to spend hours ranting than a few minutes doing something useful!
MrLinux

May 18, 2009
10:37 PM EDT
Looking at the http://www.ipo.gov.uk/ website, neither Canonical or the HMR group actually have registered that particular logo. And this means that both are allowed to use it.
caitlyn

May 19, 2009
12:39 AM EDT
So... another tempest in a teapot. Just what we needed...
techiem2

May 19, 2009
1:45 PM EDT
I think we're running out of available teapots....
jdixon

May 19, 2009
3:27 PM EDT
> I think we're running out of available teapots....

This is FOSS, we simply reuse the old one.
caitlyn

May 19, 2009
3:30 PM EDT
jdixon is right. Wash it out and we're good to go. I don't know how I'd get through the day without my mug (or glass) of tea within reach. Hot, steaming tea for all but the really hot days and iced green tea with lime for when I need something cold.
azerthoth

May 19, 2009
5:19 PM EDT
ugh, caitlyn you absolute heathen, everyone knows that iced peppermint tea is the best for a hot day.
tracyanne

May 19, 2009
5:26 PM EDT
No, tea boiled in a billy over an open fire, the only tea to drink.
caitlyn

May 19, 2009
5:43 PM EDT
I'm Jewish, not heathen. I don't particularly like peppermint tea. I also don't like being bound by tradition :)

What's a billy? I'm thinking goat and somehow that doesn't mix with tea. Unless, of course, you mean goat's milk cheese served on a nice piece of crusty bread. That would work.
tuxchick

May 19, 2009
6:07 PM EDT
Oh, teapot, not peepot. Never mind.
gus3

May 19, 2009
6:27 PM EDT
billy == billabong

(I think)
hkwint

May 19, 2009
7:34 PM EDT
That's not how people in Australia entitle a 'bill' they have to pay?
caitlyn

May 19, 2009
7:40 PM EDT
So Australians wrap their teapots in their bills and burn the bills?
hkwint

May 19, 2009
8:01 PM EDT
Hey, I know a funny game. Let's see how we can turn this useless thread into something which violates TOS(S).
gus3

May 19, 2009
11:09 PM EDT
Any bad pun involving Bill and bongs would probably devolve quickly into a TOS violation.
azerthoth

May 20, 2009
12:28 AM EDT
it's only a violation if you exhale
tracyanne

May 20, 2009
7:02 AM EDT
billy http://www.aussieslang.com/slang/australian-slang-b.asp?page...

noun:- A tin used for boiling water over a campfire, usually for a cup of tea. Originally made from an empty jam tin with a loop of wire for a handle and used by swagmen during the depression years. Also called a "billy can".
jdixon

May 20, 2009
7:36 AM EDT
> Let's see how we can turn this useless thread into something which violates TOS(S).

Could be done, but I think I'd need Bob's help. :)
azerthoth

May 20, 2009
11:09 AM EDT
Not true, TA just brought a depression into the mix with her definition, which by internet rules now makes it a fair target for debate. So it was TA who introduced the topic of how multiple failed social reforms presented to the public as 'necessary for public safety' has brought the economies of multiple nations to the breaking point, but is now being blamed on the banking industry (who were complicit anyway).

jd, was that a good enough attempt?

*/humor* */sarcasm*
montezuma

May 20, 2009
1:58 PM EDT
Jeez what a mob of drongos. Pointing percy at them is too good a fate.
jdixon

May 20, 2009
2:38 PM EDT
> jd, was that a good enough attempt?

It's a start, but Scott is the final authority on such matters. :)
caitlyn

May 20, 2009
5:05 PM EDT
Can you get some sort of heavy metal poisoning if the wrong can is used for the billy?

I'm sticking with my ceramic teapots.
hkwint

May 21, 2009
3:05 PM EDT
Quoting:Can you get some sort of heavy metal poisoning if the wrong can is used for the billy?

If you made it of lead I guess; it would end up in the boiled water. That's why you shouldn't drink from a lead gutter. Or weren't you taught so?
caitlyn

May 21, 2009
3:09 PM EDT
It never occurred to me to drink from a gutter.

I'd bet rusty cans aren't a health thing to drink from either.
tracyanne

May 21, 2009
5:29 PM EDT
caitlyn, when you're a Swaggie, a rusty tin is the least of your worries.
caitlyn

May 21, 2009
5:32 PM EDT
Swaggie? Tracyanne, I speak five languages but sadly Australian isn't one of them.
tracyanne

May 21, 2009
5:52 PM EDT
The only secret to understanding Strine (Australian) is to remember all words are too long and need to be shortened.
caitlyn

May 21, 2009
6:40 PM EDT
That still doesn't tell me what Swaggie means :( Maybe I'm just thick today.
hkwint

May 22, 2009
5:58 AM EDT
Intelligence tells me that's an itinerant worker; though not sure.
tracyanne

May 22, 2009
6:30 AM EDT
{quote]..... used by swagmen ....[/quote]

Singular Swagman, one who carries a swag http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swag_(bedroll) and all their life possesions therein. Swaggie is 1 syllable, Swagman is 2, So a speaker of Strine would abbreviate to the single syllable version.
gus3

May 22, 2009
10:59 AM EDT
Oh, like graduates of Texas Agriculture and Manufacturing University are called "Aggies".

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!