go ZaReason, go!

Story: ZaReason Preparing Ubuntu Netbook, Tower ServerTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
tuxchick

May 28, 2009
8:46 PM EDT
This is so cool. Amazing how Cathy and Earl can do, with ease, all the things those big Tier One vendors can't even comprehend.
caitlyn

May 28, 2009
9:13 PM EDT
So, TC, do you like ZaReason or not?

:)
jdixon

May 28, 2009
9:25 PM EDT
> ... do you like ZaReason or not?

What's not to like?

I haven't been a customer yet because their prices aren't competitive with build your own desktops, and it's only very recently that netbooks have reached a price point where I'm interested.

Then there's the minor fact that I use Slackware and not Ubuntu. :)

But the next time my wife wants a new machine we'll definitely consider them.
tuxchick

May 28, 2009
11:42 PM EDT
Well caitlyn, you know maybe sorta.

;)
Sander_Marechal

May 29, 2009
2:52 AM EDT
Quoting:Then there's the minor fact that I use Slackware and not Ubuntu. :)

Contact ZaReason and they can ship you a Slackware machine instead of an Ubuntu one. It's in their FAQ!
caitlyn

May 29, 2009
9:41 AM EDT
FWIW, jdixon, I was joking with TC. She's a tireless advocate for ZaReason. I can't judge the company because I've never dealt with them but all the reports I've heard have been good.
jdixon

May 29, 2009
12:49 PM EDT
> It's in their FAQ!

Yes, I've checked out their FAQ, but they know Ubuntu. They don't really know Slackware. While I'm sure they could install it and verify everything was working, I doubt they could support it as well. Then there's always that pesky "cheaper to build it yourself" problem.

However, since my wife wants to check out Ubuntu, there's no reason not to consider them the next time we get a system for her.
techiem2

May 29, 2009
4:32 PM EDT
I had them pre-partition the disk for me when I got my laptop so I could play with the Ubuntu install a little alongside the Gentoo install I did immediately. :)
montezuma

May 29, 2009
4:34 PM EDT
Jdixon,

I don't think it matters much about the support. I have bought quite a number of linux boxes from linux specialty vendors (Los Alamos, ZaReason and EmperorLinux) and have very rarely used the support. You learn to support your own machines a lot more efficiently by reading fora. The main thing is to be assured that all the hardware works properly and that you aren't being ripped off.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!