Why on God's Green Earth Would you do this?

Story: Linux Unified Kernel Aims to Combine Linux, NT KernelTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
phsolide

May 29, 2009
12:02 AM EDT
Seriously, why? Is this some kind of performance art? I can't think of a single reason, good, bad or indifferent to do this kind of thing.

All they're going to get is something like Mac OSX (http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/summary?doi=10.1.1.41.3...) with all the problems of two very different OS paradigms interacting messily.

We can only hope that it sinks without a trace.
nikkels

May 29, 2009
12:38 AM EDT
And I can't think of a good reason why they should stop developing. If something good comes out of it, people will use it. If it's no good, the project will die.

I for one would be happy if I could run 4 windows specific programs in linux and get some hardware working for which the superior linux has no drivers.

Of course, there is VMware, Virtualbox, but thats more hassle than anything else.

''''We can only hope that it sinks without a trace.''''' I only can hope you are the only one who hopes :-) They are working on it for years...it's not going to sink, just like Reactos and Wine won't sink
tuxchick

May 29, 2009
1:10 AM EDT
Because, as usual, the serious interop efforts don't come from proprietary-land.
hkwint

May 29, 2009
6:40 PM EDT
Quoting:All they're going to get is something like Mac OSX ([HYPERLINK@citeseerx.ist.psu.edu]) with all the problems of two very different OS paradigms interacting messily.

Like usual, they are not going to believe your warning until they found out on their own.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!