Another chip that won't run Windows

Story: Qualcomm Shows Off Snapdragon SmartbooksTotal Replies: 10
Author Content
caitlyn

Jun 01, 2009
8:44 PM EDT
You've got to love these systems which won't run Windows. Now let's just hope they are done well and priced to compete.
hkwint

Jun 02, 2009
11:35 AM EDT
I'm afraid were near the point where Microsoft releases $15 WinXP for MIPS and ARM. They had 8 year time to develop such a thing; even such an inefficient company as Microsoft should be able to do so.
caitlyn

Jun 02, 2009
12:12 PM EDT
Hans: Certainly they could have done it in the last eight years. I don't think they did. I don't think anyone foresaw MIPS and ARM chips coming into the laptop (and now desktop) market in any form. Microsoft has been caught flat footed on this one.
caitlyn

Jun 02, 2009
12:57 PM EDT
Microsoft today did display exactly how they are going to combat these systems. Nope, it's not an ARM version of Windows. Asus announced that their ARM-based Eee PC on display on Computex yesterday is dead and they've pulled the laptop. While they say it's due to limited engineering resources I have to wonder what threat Microsoft used or what payoff was made. This is the "better with Windows" company all. Microsoft couldn't have them making ARM based systems, could they?

I've submitted the news article about this to LXer. Hopefully Scott or Sander will have it appear later today.
hkwint

Jun 02, 2009
1:39 PM EDT
Quoting:Hopefully Scott or Sander will have it appear later today.

I decided to make myself useful, take some of their burden and actually do what an LXer editor is supposed to do. So yes, it will appear later today.
caitlyn

Jun 02, 2009
1:44 PM EDT
Thanks, Hans. I very much appreciate it.
hkwint

Jun 02, 2009
1:54 PM EDT
Future queue is really full at this moment; it may take some while.
caitlyn

Jun 02, 2009
1:56 PM EDT
...or you can add stories a bit faster :)
caitlyn

Jun 02, 2009
3:23 PM EDT
FWIW, I just submitted the Cyber Cynic take on the Asus/Android fiasco at Computex. It's a good read. For those who don't want to wait for it to make it through the queue:

http://blogs.computerworld.com/microsoft_strikes_back_at_lin...
tuxchick

Jun 02, 2009
6:17 PM EDT
Or visit brand x! I posted it hours ago!

:D
caitlyn

Jun 02, 2009
6:37 PM EDT
Yep, but this story deserves to be posted EVERYWHERE! It's a wake-up call.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!