Imagine that!

Story: Bing is not Google, but it is a spin engine.Total Replies: 20
Author Content
caitlyn

Jun 02, 2009
12:35 PM EDT
So... as we all suspected, Bing isn't a pure search engine. It's a Microsoft propaganda engine. It will show you the world the way Microsoft wants you to see it. Bing is worth avoiding at all costs.
softwarejanitor

Jun 02, 2009
2:22 PM EDT
I agree completely. Boycott Bing! Bang Bing in the Bung until it goes Bong! Can I say that here? :-)
hkwint

Jun 02, 2009
4:06 PM EDT
Quoting:Can I say that here? :-)

Hmm, look like you just did. Someone care to ask Mr. Schestowitz to set up a new boycott-website?
techiem2

Jun 02, 2009
4:22 PM EDT
boycottbing.com?
caitlyn

Jun 02, 2009
4:33 PM EDT
I prefer boycottmicrosoft.com Whatever Mr. Schestowitz has against Novell is mild compared to some of the things Microsoft has done.
hkwint

Jun 02, 2009
4:34 PM EDT
Wow, a domain that's not taken!
Scott_Ruecker

Jun 02, 2009
5:25 PM EDT
@janitor, your ok but...be careful. :-)

softwarejanitor

Jun 02, 2009
5:48 PM EDT
@Scott_Ruecker Not planning on going any farther with that, I just couldn't resist it...
caitlyn

Jun 02, 2009
6:11 PM EDT
I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone on LXer that disagrees with you. It's hard to get into a political or any other type of argument when there is no disagreement.
tuxchick

Jun 02, 2009
6:15 PM EDT
Quoting: Boycott Bing! Bang Bing in the Bung until it goes Bong!

I nominate this for best Lxer comment ever.
caitlyn

Jun 02, 2009
6:38 PM EDT
See what I mean!
softwarejanitor

Jun 02, 2009
10:03 PM EDT
> I nominate this for best Lxer comment ever.

I am extremely flattered... Thank you very much...
tracyanne

Jun 03, 2009
8:52 PM EDT
Has anyone here actually tried BING?

I did and it returns pretty much teh same set of results as Google, with pretty much the same rankings, in fact, except for the different layout, I'd have not noticed any difference i what reults were returned.
hkwint

Jun 03, 2009
9:15 PM EDT
Yeah, same experience here. What I really, really, really like about Bing (possibly the only thing) is the Altavista-background (new as of today?) So they're already marketing Bing with images from the past - or something, I suppose there's some good satire in it.

Apart from that, Bing doesn't show Ubuntu in top4 when searching for Linux, while Google does.

PS: Another thing nobody mentioned about Bing, as of yet: Live.com redirects to it! MSN search now uses it. In fact, Microsoft implicitly admits their previous multi-million dollar attempts failed; and their former names were a mess and not well chosen.
gus3

Jun 03, 2009
10:30 PM EDT
Quoting:Microsoft implicitly admits their previous multi-million dollar attempts failed; and their former names were a mess and not well chosen.
I don't expect any different with this iteration.
Sander_Marechal

Jun 04, 2009
4:45 AM EDT
Have you seen this? http://www.pcworld.com/article/166024/microsoft_tries_to_for...

Quoting:a glitch in Internet Explorer 6 forced Bing onto users as the default search engine. Even when users manually altered their preferences, Bing emerged once again.

A "glitch"....
caitlyn

Jun 04, 2009
4:47 AM EDT
A feature! At least Microsoft thinks of it as a feature.
jacog

Jun 04, 2009
6:00 AM EDT
Just tried Bing from the office here and got this:

http://fenwitch.com/gallery/bing.png

Well, I guess it's better than the time linux.com got blocked as "Illegal or questionable".

http://fenwitch.com/gallery/questionable.bmp

caitlyn

Jun 09, 2009
9:38 PM EDT
I just saw my first Bing TV commercial. Maybe Google has nothing to worry about after all.
tuxchick

Jun 09, 2009
9:40 PM EDT
I saw one too, caitlyn, and in a weird way it confirms what everyone's been saying-- they filter results for Our Own Good :)
jdixon

Jun 09, 2009
9:59 PM EDT
Today's Help Desk is very apropos: http://www.ubersoft.net/comic/hd/2009/06/very-decisive-indee...

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!