It's all in a name Bing!!!!!

Forum: LXer Meta ForumTotal Replies: 13
Author Content
lister

Jun 04, 2009
11:03 AM EDT
Hi, Ok I have to deal with Microsoft at work. But I am a Linux person so I had to share this!! Microsoft in there MSN web page has decided to call there search engine "Bing" ok I thought, till I looked down at my last fortune cookie. On the back I see "Bing" in chinese means disease!!! Ok so they finally admit there roll in the computing world LOL. I just wanted to share a chukkle with fellow Linux users. Lister
gus3

Jun 04, 2009
11:50 AM EDT
Sure enough, for those who want to research it, here's the gucharmap information (HTML/XML adjusted for re-rendering):

Quoting:

U+75C5 CJK UNIFIED IDEOGRAPH-75C5

General Character Properties

In Unicode since: 1.1 Unicode category: Letter, Other

Various Useful Representations

UTF-8: 0xE7 0x97 0x85 UTF-16: 0x75C5

C octal escaped UTF-8: 347227205 XML decimal entity: 病

CJK Ideograph Information

Definition in English: illness, sickness, disease Mandarin Pronunciation: BING4 Cantonese Pronunciation: beng6 bing6 Japanese On Pronunciation: BYOU HEI Japanese Kun Pronunciation: YAMU YAMAI UREE Tang Pronunciation: *bhiæ?ng Korean Pronunciation: PYENG
Too funny.

And Gates/Ballmer/Mundy/etc want the world to believe it's the GPL that's a "cancer."
gus3

Jun 04, 2009
11:52 AM EDT
Darn it, the character rendered properly during preview, but it conked when I submitted. Let's see if a direct XML entity entry works.

The character is 病 .

Okay, preview works. Does submission? EDIT: Nope... Grrrrr.
number6x

Jun 04, 2009
12:07 PM EDT
gus3

go to this sight: http://www.blogcrowds.com/resources/parse_html.php

paste the xml in and hit the 'parse' button.

It escapes special characters for pasting into html

It might work for this
gus3

Jun 04, 2009
12:19 PM EDT
Already did the escaping bit. Like how I typed "病", and got "病". OTOH, if I typed "病", it previewed as the Unicode character, but submission degenerated it to a question mark.
gus3

Jun 04, 2009
12:23 PM EDT
First Zune, now this. Their generic names ("windows," "word") can only barely be enforced, while their made-up names turn into crap somewhere.

Roy Schestowitz can only hope to do the damage to Microsoft that they're doing to themselves.
Sander_Marechal

Jun 04, 2009
1:27 PM EDT
@gus3: That escape problem is bug in the LXer preview that I already reported to Bob some time ago. You should type 病 and sumbit. Don't preview but submit immediately (and don't edit your post afterwards). That should work.

Test: 病
Sander_Marechal

Jun 04, 2009
1:28 PM EDT
Works for me!

Edit: The problem is that when you edit or preview, the contents of the text area should be escaped an extra time. You can also do it manually, but everytime you edit or preview you need to re-escape the text again.
gus3

Jun 04, 2009
1:34 PM EDT
Aha.... Thanks, Sander. They're fixed now.
techiem2

Jun 04, 2009
1:57 PM EDT
So using Bing is like living in a diseased jail?
caitlyn

Jun 04, 2009
2:27 PM EDT
...and if you used a Zune we can assume the disease is an STD.
gus3

Jun 04, 2009
6:26 PM EDT
Microsoft Zune-Bing: The new std. in STD's.
azerthoth

Jun 04, 2009
6:26 PM EDT
Sonically Transmitted Disease?
gus3

Jun 04, 2009
6:28 PM EDT
Stupid TCP/IP Disaster.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [Editors, MEMBERS, SITEADMINS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!