The price in the summary is off.

Story: Archos releases unrestricted Ubuntu netbook with 500GB, 2GB RAM and 6-cellsTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
TxtEdMacs

Jun 17, 2009
4:32 PM EDT
1 Euro = 1.3849 U.S. dollars

Pulled that from Google just after 4pm US EDT, which means the units would cost above 500 USD. Subtracting the assumed 20% VAT, that still is in the plus $400 range not $350. I guess for the current netbook pricing that is not out of line, especially considering the much higher hardware specifications. However, I would advise awaiting a review prior to throwing cash at this unit. Yes the raw specs are impressive when compared to the sibling XP unit. Nonetheless, that does not assure the unit performance, reliability and construction of either unit will match the expectations.

YBT
tracyanne

Jun 17, 2009
9:36 PM EDT
Still it shows what's possible when you remove Costly Legacy Operating Systems from the mix.
jdixon

Jun 18, 2009
6:59 AM EDT
> Costly Legacy Operating Systems

Or CLOS. I think you've got something there, tracyanee. CLOSS, the opposite of FOSS.
softwarejanitor

Jun 18, 2009
2:44 PM EDT
Or POS = Proprietary Operating System... Doesn't seem like a coincidence to me that POS is also more popularly used as an acronym for something else. Actually in most cases it seems pretty appropriate... :-)
gus3

Jun 18, 2009
2:46 PM EDT
Point Of Sale?

(having worked on point-of-sale software, I can tell you the jokes were regular indeed)
caitlyn

Jun 18, 2009
4:02 PM EDT
What gus3 said...
tracyanne

Jun 18, 2009
5:21 PM EDT
I think referring to Windows as what it is costly and legacy is the best way to help people understand. That's why I always talk about upgrading from Windows, as well.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!