Similar Experiances

Story: Hotel WiFi DisserviceTotal Replies: 0
Author Content
azerthoth

Jun 24, 2009
4:50 PM EDT
I too travel alot and am no stranger to hotel living and odd internet service.

one more troubleshooting/fix I have discovered. There are times when I can connect to the net, but any download I try will hang after a few seconds. I can maintain a solid connection to IRC or World of Warcrack, but heavy use, not a chance. So while trying to figure out why, and realizing that if that was the ISP's normal service that they would have no customers at all, I figured out that it had to be something on my end. It was, sort of, swapping the state of the receive buffer did the trick for me.

in /etc/sysctl.conf I have set:

# CUSTOM CHANGES net.ipv4.tcp_no_metrics_save = 0 net.ipv4.tcp_moderate_rcvbuf = 0 # increase TCP max buffer size setable using setsockopt() net.core.rmem_max = 16777216 net.core.wmem_max = 16777216 # increase Linux autotuning TCP buffer limits # min, default, and max number of bytes to use # set max to at least 4MB, or higher if you use very high BDP paths net.ipv4.tcp_rmem = 4096 87380 16777216 net.ipv4.tcp_wmem = 4096 65536 16777216

after making those changes, sysctl -p to load them in, and tah dah, full bandwidth and no hanging. Sometimes adding : ifconfig eth0 txqueuelen 1500 will bump up the max data rate as well, although this takes a little fiddling with to get it maximized.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!