"Windows only" has been my experience.

Story: Hotel WiFi DisserviceTotal Replies: 11
Author Content
Bob_Robertson

Jun 24, 2009
5:06 PM EDT
So I unpack at a La Quinta, fire up, and everything seems to go find. The wifi service is detected, connects just fine, resolves name servers, and ping works.

I fire up Konqueror, and get redirected to their authentication service. Fine by me, I understand, so I find the "continue with sign-in" button and...

...and that's it. Nothing I do makes any difference, not a button on the so-called "service" works.

So I try Firefox. Same thing.

I fire up VirtualBox and WinXP. Firefox again gets exactly the same problem. No error, just complete disfunction.

But Internet Exploder breezes right in, authentication works, and everything is fine. Linux and associated software then works great for the rest of our stay, so I assume it logged the MAC address as "allow" or something to that effect.

La Quinta got a very nasty letter from me about that, I can assure you. Haven't been back since.
softwarejanitor

Jun 24, 2009
5:12 PM EDT
I've had mixed luck with LaQuinta. I've generally been able to get it to work under Linux and I don't have IE installed, however in several cases I've dealt with such weak signals I couldn't get it to work in my room and had to sit in the lobby to use the Internet.

I've had similar experiences with other mid priced chains though, so I'm not saying that LaQuinta is significantly worse.
Bob_Robertson

Jun 24, 2009
5:16 PM EDT
Yes, signal problems I could understand. This was not a signal problem, the hardware "connection" came up without any problems at all.
bigg

Jun 24, 2009
5:17 PM EDT
I've noticed a trend (perhaps my sample is small) in the last couple of years toward open wifi - anyone can use their network.
azerthoth

Jun 24, 2009
5:19 PM EDT
Stayed at an Extended Stay one trip, default was picky but they have great outsourced tech support. The person I talked to not only knew Linux, but knew Gentoo well enough to try a few things that I was unaware of at the time. When that still didn't work he went in and auth'd my computer via MAC address. After that, it was smooth sailing for me.
caitlyn

Jun 24, 2009
5:34 PM EDT
I've had similar good experience with Extended Stay America.

The hotel I wrote about is the La Quinta in downtown Atlanta. My housemate was able to login with Firefox once she had DNS working. No problem there.
theboomboomcars

Jun 24, 2009
5:36 PM EDT
Bob I think they are just trying to maximise virus distribution through their network.
HoTMetaL

Jun 24, 2009
6:16 PM EDT
I've also stayed at an Extended Stay hotel and had the exact experience that azerthoth did. When I dialed them up, I was asked if I was using "Windows or Mac?". I told them "Ubuntu". "No problem" they said, just "right-click Network Manager, close and reopen Firefox...", etc. The guy actually knew what Ubuntu was, how to troubleshoot their network with it, and I was connected in seconds. More people should have this experience, instead of Bob's.
jdixon

Jun 24, 2009
7:51 PM EDT
As noted in the comments there, both Comfort inn and Hampton Inn offer free wifi, and it almost always works with Linux. As I noted, Country Inn and Suites also seems to be a good chain in that regard, though I haven't stayed at enough of them to be as sure as I am with Comfort Inn and Hampton Inn. Some Comfort Inns also offer a wired connection, but most don't seem to.
jdixon

Jun 24, 2009
7:57 PM EDT
> I've also stayed at an Extended Stay hotel

Which is now bankrupt. :(

caitlyn

Jun 24, 2009
8:47 PM EDT
@jdixon: Do you know the details? Are they in Chapter 11? Are they still operating their hotels? In addition to the WiFi service they are also pet friendly which has been important to me at times.
HoTMetaL

Jun 25, 2009
4:03 AM EDT
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=aeirzxDU...

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!