I will never use the words "year of the Linux desktop" again

Story: Is this the year of the Linux Desktop? Courtesy of Google Chrome?Total Replies: 6
Author Content
Steven_Rosenber

Jul 14, 2009
2:22 PM EDT
-- When it's here, we'll know it.

-- It won't be NOT here one year, then be here the next

-- Google doesn't have the greatest track record in making things succeed that aren't search advertising

-- Google has made a lot of promises in the "just works" department about the Chrome OS. Looks like "writing checks they can't cash" mode coming on.

-- If Google were smart about this, it would save itself a lot of trouble, partner with Ubuntu and Mozilla and forget about trying to do this on its own ... and actually have more than vaporware to ship in 2010.
softwarejanitor

Jul 14, 2009
2:40 PM EDT
When the "year of the Linux desktop" comes we probably won't realize it until we are well into it, maybe not until its past.

When did the "year of the Linux server" happen?
herzeleid

Jul 14, 2009
3:16 PM EDT
Quoting:When did the "year of the Linux server" happen?
Excellent point. We sort of went from "Gartner reports that linux has no chance in data center" to gradually realizing that the ubiquitous server room presence of linux was a fait accompli. I'm rather of the opinion that the same sort of process can and will apply to the desktop as well.
softwarejanitor

Jul 14, 2009
3:52 PM EDT
@herzeleid Exactly...
justintime

Jul 14, 2009
4:02 PM EDT
Wow, I'm actually in agreement with softwarejanitor :-)
softwarejanitor

Jul 14, 2009
4:30 PM EDT
@justintime You act so surprised. I'm not sure if I should feel honored or offended...
justintime

Jul 14, 2009
5:21 PM EDT
I'm not sure I'm special enough for you to feel honored, but I hope you don't feel offended :-)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!