Good reason to avoid GNOME Do

Story: Why GNOME Do Is Built With C#Total Replies: 20
Author Content
golem

Jul 17, 2009
5:09 PM EDT
He cites some reasons he liked C#. He doesn't say whether other languages have the same advantages. The main point seems to be that Miguel got to him and talked him into it. What else would you expect Miguel to talk him into?
justintime

Jul 17, 2009
5:33 PM EDT
...and you know this for a fact, how?

David says in the article that he didn't go to Miguel until after he had started the project and had some questions. Seems to me you made up a lie in order to attempt to defame Miguel de Icaza.

And did you even READ the article? Because he says specifically that he tried a bunch of languages and found C# to be the best fit.

No wonder the anti-Mono trolls are losing the "war" they started... they are illiterate!
dinotrac

Jul 17, 2009
5:34 PM EDT
Ooh! Sinister!!

Those nasty mono folks had the nerve to be helpful when he had questions. That'll mess with your mind for sure.

Guy likes C# and has had positive experiences with both the language and the community.

We sure don't want that kind of thing in the free software world.
justintime

Jul 17, 2009
5:35 PM EDT
dinotrac: haha, good one!
Sander_Marechal

Jul 17, 2009
6:14 PM EDT
justintime: Just because Golem mis-read the article is no reason to call him a lying, illiterate troll. Attack the facts, not the man (or woman). We try to run a mature and civilised forum here.
jdixon

Jul 17, 2009
6:34 PM EDT
> We sure don't want that kind of thing in the free software world.

Which just goes to show that Mono and C# obviously have no place in FOSS. :)
KernelShepard

Jul 17, 2009
6:57 PM EDT
Sander: to be fair, Golem did make the first personal attack... and at least justin backed up his claims with facts.

It's also kinda hard to "misread" such a short article, it's barely long enough to fill a tweet ;-)

jdixon: haha! Nah, I've found most FOSS devs to be pretty welcoming to their projects. There are exceptions but that's always the case. (I'm sure you were probably joking)
tuxchick

Jul 17, 2009
7:06 PM EDT
~o Here come the trolls....Golem made no personal attacks, and Justintime wouldn't know a fact if it bit him. I don't know why KS and justintime even bother; you two talk and talk and talk, but your credibility is somewhere between zero and minus zero, and yet you keep trying as though you have talking point and FUD quotas to fill. Go ahead, all you're doing is wasting electrons because no one with an ounce of sense will fall for it.
tracyanne

Jul 17, 2009
7:11 PM EDT
Quoting:The main point seems to be that Miguel got to him and talked him into it.

Well actually no. The main point was that all things considered, C# was the best language FOR HIM AND THE JOB HE WANTED TO DO..

Quoting:He doesn't say whether other languages have the same advantages.

Actually he did, only from his point of view, FOR HIM AND WHAT HE WANTED TO DO, the other languages mostly had disadvantages.

When all things were considered, he elected to use C#. The fact that there is a great community around C#, was, for HIM, the icing on the cake.

I agree with Sander, there wasn't really any need to join the slag fest, just a simple iteration of the facts would have been sufficient.
KernelShepard

Jul 17, 2009
7:43 PM EDT
tuxchick: I beg your pardon? I got lost in your barrage of personal attacks. Were you saying something? *rolls eyes*
KernelShepard

Jul 17, 2009
7:49 PM EDT
tracyanne: Yea, I agree that a simple reiteration of the facts would have sufficed - but I can understand his frustration.
jdixon

Jul 17, 2009
8:49 PM EDT
> (I'm sure you were probably joking)

Yes.

> When all things were considered, he elected to use C#.

Yep, Which is his privilege as the writer.
gus3

Jul 17, 2009
9:10 PM EDT
Whoa... Miguel was actually helpful?

Maybe he isn't aligned with the antichr^WRedmond hegemon after all!
justintime

Jul 20, 2009
10:26 AM EDT
Sander: you're right, I'm sorry.
Sander_Marechal

Jul 20, 2009
12:14 PM EDT
No problem :-)
tuxtom

Jul 20, 2009
5:39 PM EDT
Quoting:We try to run a mature and civilised forum here.
Ha...unless the topic is Microsoft....wait...that is the only topic on LXer.
tracyanne

Jul 20, 2009
6:21 PM EDT
unfortunately, it seems to consume most conversations.
Sander_Marechal

Jul 20, 2009
8:14 PM EDT
Quoting:Ha...unless the topic is Microsoft

Discussing things without lowering to personal insults doesn't mean there can't be flamwars :-)
softwarejanitor

Jul 20, 2009
9:00 PM EDT
@tuxtom It is easy to find fault with Microsoft in a mature and civilized way.
tuxchick

Jul 20, 2009
9:38 PM EDT
Mature and civlized? OK fine, but I reserve the right to make weird faces at my monitor.
dinotrac

Jul 20, 2009
9:53 PM EDT
TC -

What a relief! I thought you were suffering.

PS -- Don't forget the webcam!

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!