Here's some.
herzeleid

Aug 11, 2009
5:31 PM EDT
yep. love it.
caitlyn

Aug 12, 2009
1:37 AM EDT
Now how do we convince universities outside of Italy to follow suit?
mortenalver

Aug 12, 2009
2:21 AM EDT
Give them an offer they can't refuse?
kt

Aug 13, 2009
7:57 PM EDT
"Now how do we convince universities outside of Italy to follow suit?"

The Italian university is not the pioneer.

Here is some old news from Germany: http://www.computerweekly.com/Articles/2007/08/28/226420/ger...

Maybe preparing a good open letter to a hypothetical "big boss" can help? Compose a one to two page proposal to switch to Linux and send it to as many "big boss" contacts as you can get. In that proposal, be short but informative; describe your transition strategy (first, Firefox and OpenOffice on Windows, then Linux and maybe wine, mention installations on top of Windows, group by group approach, etc.); describe the benefits (flexibility, security, prices, etc.); describe the weakness of Windows; describe alternatives to SharePoint, MS project, version control, e-mail, etc.; show some usage examples (from embedded to supercomputers). In other words organize your knowledge, thoughts, experience into one little pill. I'm sure you can compose a good pill -- I think you know enough. Then, if you want, maybe post it here for some other people to contribute and edit. Then let it fly.
gus3

Aug 13, 2009
9:49 PM EDT
@mort:

Right. We'll start with Sicily.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!