Wanna bet?

Story: Dell: High Linux netbook returns a mythTotal Replies: 21
Author Content
caitlyn

Aug 14, 2009
6:03 PM EDT
Anyone want to bet that this story and other like it will be summarily ignored by the Microsoft loving masses out there? Want to be the Microsoft loving tech "journalists" will keep quoting MSI, a statement made before they had sold even one netbook with Linux?

There's an old saying: repeat a lie enough times and it becomes the truth. That appears to be Microsoft's strategy vis a vis Linux in general and on netbooks in particular in a nutshell.
tuxchick

Aug 14, 2009
7:36 PM EDT
This kind of thing drives me crazy. 4x return rate, 1% market share, Windows is on 90/95/99% of the world's computers, Windows is attacked more because of its dominant market share, Windows is pretty secure now it's the lusers who screw it up, Linux is for gurus because it's command line and tarballs....

**pound head**

Oh wait, I should pound their heads.
gus3

Aug 14, 2009
7:43 PM EDT
How long until we see a video of Dell executives explaining that this comment was erroneous, with Microsoft's "men in black" standing behind them, scowling?
caitlyn

Aug 14, 2009
8:10 PM EDT
tuxchick: Look at it this way. All the lies and FUD give us material for mountains of articles debunking the lies and nonsense.

I still think pounding their heads has some merit, though :)
bigg

Aug 14, 2009
8:39 PM EDT
> it's the lusers who screw it up

That one's actually true. If Windows had no users, there would be no Windows security problems, hence Windows users are the cause of the problems.
tuxchick

Aug 14, 2009
11:15 PM EDT
Caitlyn, pounding heads is barbaric. Are we not geeks? Do we not employ advanced technology? Therefore I propose either Tasers or Hot Shots. Much more geeky. And fun.

http://www.taser.com/pages/default.aspx http://www.flemingoutdoors.com/hotshblcapr3.html
caitlyn

Aug 15, 2009
12:27 AM EDT
Key, tc, the head pounding was your suggestion. I do have a pounding headache in any case, which means I certainly won't be pounding back shots.
tuxchick

Aug 15, 2009
3:23 PM EDT
Quoting: Key, tc, the head pounding was your suggestion.

That statement is no longer operative. (Bonus points to anyone who knows who said that first.)

OK let's compromise-- pound heads and zap them with Hot Shots. See, we can work anything out if we try!
caitlyn

Aug 15, 2009
4:21 PM EDT
Quoting: That statement is no longer operative. (Bonus points to anyone who knows who said that first.)

Ron Ziegler, Richard Nixon's press secretary after the President had been caught in a lie. I'm old enough to remember Watergate.
gus3

Aug 15, 2009
5:00 PM EDT
I'm old enough to remember afternoon cartoons were cancelled for the Watergate hearings.
caitlyn

Aug 15, 2009
8:36 PM EDT
Speaking of canceling a TV program...

When I was in college a very large group of students were gathered around the big (well, big, by late '70s standards) color TVs in the student commons watching the premiere of Battlestar Galactica. That's the original series, mind you, with the late Lorne Greene, Richard Hatch, Dirk Benedict, and JaneSeymour. Anyway, it was interrupted for special coverage of the announcement of the Camp David Peace Treaty between Israel and Egypt. There was President Carter, Egyptian President Sadat, and Israeli PrimeMinister Begin announcing a peace nobody thought was possible. The students loudly booed the interruption and kept calling for the news to end and the silly science fiction series with flashy special effects to come back on. They booed Middle East peace!

Oh well....
tuxchick

Aug 15, 2009
8:40 PM EDT
OMG Caitlyn. Considering how awful the original Battlestar Galactica was, that is seriously twisted. "Marching Morons", anyone? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Marching_Morons
caitlyn

Aug 15, 2009
9:26 PM EDT
tc, I hope you're saying some of those students in a supposedly elite university were morons. The Kornbluth story was actually quite good.

Actually, the very first episode wasn't that bad. I enjoyed it, anyway. Every so often they had a good episode amid the dreck. The last one was also particularly good. (No, I don't mean the last Galactica 1980, I mean the last one where they pick up the broadcast of the 1969 lunar landing.)

I will admit that while I made fun of it I actually enjoyed the original BSG way back when. The thought that it was somehow more important than the peace treaty, though, boggles the mind.
gus3

Aug 15, 2009
10:12 PM EDT
@caitlyn:

FWIW, we actually had a school assembly for that occasion. The entire school packed into the gymnasium to watch the ceremony.

Later that day, I got clued in to how significant it was.
jdixon

Aug 15, 2009
10:30 PM EDT
> ... to how significant it was.

Very significant. It's a real shame it was also effectively a death warrant for Sadat.
caitlyn

Aug 15, 2009
10:59 PM EDT
Agreed. He isn't the only Arab leader that suffered that fate. King Abdullah I of Jordan was ready to sign a treaty with Israel in the 1950s. It cost him his life as well.
jdixon

Aug 16, 2009
10:21 AM EDT
> King Abdullah I of Jordan was ready to sign a treaty with Israel in the 1950s. It cost him his life as well.

A fact which only makes Sadat's action more impressive. He almost certainly had knew what the reaction and likely consequences were. He did it anyway,
caitlyn

Aug 16, 2009
2:53 PM EDT
@jdixon: I agree with you 100%. The world needs a few more Sadats, people of courage who are willing to risk everything to bring peace and make the world a better place. People like that are rare, unfortunately.
jdixon

Aug 16, 2009
3:33 PM EDT
> The world needs a few more Sadats,...

Agreed. Few of us will ever have our courage tested in that way. If I ever do, I can only hope to do even half as well.
gus3

Aug 16, 2009
3:44 PM EDT
It's a thin line between being courageous, and being a jerk.

I tap-dance on that line regularly.
caitlyn

Aug 17, 2009
12:50 AM EDT
@gus3: If your tap dancing could make the world a more peaceful place I'd support it wholeheartedly.
gus3

Aug 17, 2009
1:31 AM EDT
Alas, being a jerk often enough means nobody takes me seriously even when I'm being merely courageous.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!