Dell Linux Notebook NL: â?¬60 cheaper than XP

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
hkwint

Aug 22, 2009
11:06 AM EDT
It's here:

http://www1.euro.dell.com/nl/nl/bedrijven/Laptops/laptop-lat...

Ubuntu 8.10, 160GB, also available in Belgium (QWERTY though). 70 euro cheaper than the Windows XP netbook, but to reach an equal configuration (250GB) you need to buy the harddisk upgrade for Ubuntu which costs you €10.

Also the Ubuntu netbook does offers a 250GB upgrade (€35) while the Windows one doesn't, due to restrictions of Microsoft.
caitlyn

Aug 22, 2009
1:07 PM EDT
I'm glad to see Dell making competitive Linux offering in the E.U. Now here's the million euro question: Are Europeans ready to buy notebooks preloaded with Linux?
hkwint

Aug 22, 2009
5:42 PM EDT
Maybe they are, but the funny thing is Dell didn't make any 'add' or 'announcement' on the 'first' availability of Ubuntu netbooks / Ubuntu Dell products in my country. All of it is still via the b2b-section of their website it seems. The readers / editors of tweakers.net found out by 'coincidence' Dell started offering Ubuntu in NL. Conclusion is Dell only offers it if anyone is asking for it. Or, to repeat the words of Microsoft: They are only 'allowed' to answer to demand, _not_ to create demand.

So even if European 'end consumers' (not business, just home users) are ready to buy notebooks preloaded with Linux, I'm not sure if they now about their very existence in first place.

Our country is probably the most conservative when it comes to using Windows of the whole EU (market share of IE confirms this), so our country probably isn't a good indication anyway.

What was also funny, was that someone in the thread linked to mivvy.eu, another company I never heard of that sells Linux netbooks (only in Czech Republic / Slovakia as of now, but also in NL in the near future it seems).

For the people from Belgium, the default Qwerty-keyboard seems to be a problem (most of the Belgian people use standard Azerty or 'Belgium modified' Azerty layout, which has two keys more than standard US qwerty, so this is a valid issue it seems).

So there is some progression to say the least, but probably the uptake by consumers won't be fast nor big.

You cannot post until you login.