It's always the other guy.

Story: This week at LWN: KDE struggles with feature requestsTotal Replies: 49
Author Content
dinotrac

Aug 31, 2009
6:38 AM EDT
Darn those nasty users! How dare they be unimpressed with my nifty design and fail to appreciate all of the great benefits we get from it just because they can't do the things they used to do.

Who needs users, anyway?

After all, we didn't choose to work for such a large and visible project because of the geek cred it brings, right?

What a maroon.
tracyanne

Aug 31, 2009
9:38 AM EDT
I lost interst in KDE4 some time ago, it gives me nothing useful.
jdixon

Aug 31, 2009
9:55 AM EDT
> I lost interst in KDE4 some time ago,

Actually, from everything I've read, at this point it's a least usable, if not completely finished. If they had simply waited unitl 4.2 to call it 4.0, everything would have been well.
dinotrac

Aug 31, 2009
9:56 AM EDT
ta -

I'm with you. I haven't even been using KDE3 any more because I don't see a clear path forward. I've been doing some work on a Mac lately, and it's nice enough -- almost -- for me to consider parting with some dollars and leaving Linux land altogether. Always liked Macs, but never felt this close to taking the plunge. The whole KDE4 debacle is really shaking my faith in free software, and I've hung true in spite of Debian/KDE ten years ago, Mozilla turning the browser world over to IE, and a raft of small annoyances.

Maybe it's just Monday. I hope so.
jacog

Aug 31, 2009
10:07 AM EDT
KDE4 is the cat's whiskers. (is the boat falling over yet?)
azerthoth

Aug 31, 2009
12:07 PM EDT
Sounds like they are still suffering from the phenomenon of "the dev is always right". Not completely restricted to devs, some who have an inordinate amount of knowledge on $TOPIC develop the same outlook. It's funny I was just thinking about this last night. I was looking at how I ended up reacting to a new user after spending 45 minutes trying to walk them through a one line edit of xorg.conf to add a resolution option.

This is something that is 30 seconds for most people who have even a passing knowledge. 5 minutes if you have never done anything like it before. So after 45 minutes I was getting noticeably more and more sarcastic and struggling to keep it as civil as I could, finally the other person ran out of time and had to leave support, and all I felt was relief.

The point? While I can sympathize with the KDE (and other) Devs, personally knowing that kind of frustration, "You dont know what your talking about, STFU" is never the correct answer. Take 30 seconds to educate, while your target may not get the explanation, someone else might and then explain it in laymans terms for them. Knowledge not STFU is the key to understanding the difficulties involved in any project.
dinotrac

Aug 31, 2009
1:33 PM EDT
There is a simple solution to egotistical devs who don't want to be bothered by users:

Start your own project, join one that caters to other devs, or work on something nobody uses.

It ain't rocket science, guys:

You mess something up that lots of people use without giving due consideration to their needs, you're going to get a very bad reaction.
Bob_Robertson

Aug 31, 2009
1:50 PM EDT
> You mess something up that lots of people use without giving due consideration to their needs, you're going to get a very bad reaction.

That's the reason I was so glad that Debian Lenny was released with KDE3, rather than jumping to KDE4. 4 really, really needed time to settle down. It will, eventually. Maybe it has.

I think TA above is correct, there should have been a longer pre-release period for 4. More of "this is a work in progress, give it a try if you like, help out and it will be done sooner" and less "this is what we're doing, take it or leave it."

What about the idea that the KDE developers seriously underestimated just how many people use KDE?

> "You dont know what your talking about, STFU" is never the correct answer.

Not if you've any interest in someone using your product, that's for sure.
mrider

Aug 31, 2009
3:03 PM EDT
> What about the idea that the KDE developers seriously underestimated just how many people use KDE?

That sounds pretty reasonable. I know that I intend to use KDE4 at some point. I've tinkered with it a few times. But I need an environment that is familiar. I'm used to KDE3x. So although I haven't joined the ranks of the whiners, I don't really feel like KDE4 is ready for me.

At this point I'm simply waiting for it to have been mature long enough that a solid distro has a good setup. I sort of liked Sidux, but it moves way too fast for my taste. I prefer to not using rolling distros, but would accept one if it didn't roll so fast...
Bob_Robertson

Aug 31, 2009
5:09 PM EDT
mrider, I may take the plunge with the next Debian stable.

It will be a shame to lose all my settings, I really like the way I've been able to get KDE3 to look/feel. But all things in life, even the good things, must pass.
Scott_Ruecker

Aug 31, 2009
5:20 PM EDT
@Bob; I just recently started running Ubuntu full time. talk about lost settings..after having run PCLOS with KDE 3.5.10 for some time I have begun using Gnome more in the last two weeks than I have in the last two years..
jdixon

Aug 31, 2009
6:06 PM EDT
> It will be a shame to lose all my settings...

Back up your home folder and keep the copy, just in case.
tracyanne

Aug 31, 2009
6:39 PM EDT
I'm getting better usability out of GNOME and XFCE than KDE4. The features I'd like to see in KDE4 aren't there, and it seems slow and bloated on my computers.
Sander_Marechal

Aug 31, 2009
7:32 PM EDT
Who needs a DE anyway? For the last week I've been rolling with Awesome WM and I'm loving it so far, a few issues aside. Add a stand alone file manager and a stand alone auto-mounter and explain why I need a DE at all?
azerthoth

Aug 31, 2009
9:00 PM EDT
@Sander, you don't really, I have found myself running more and more lately running without a manager, note I did not say without X. Just controlling it all myself. No .xintinrc, no DE or DM, just X :0 -ac &
chalbersma

Aug 31, 2009
9:13 PM EDT
as I've said before.

Real men use fluxbox
jdixon

Aug 31, 2009
9:30 PM EDT
> Real men use fluxbox

And us wimps use XFCE. :)
caitlyn

Aug 31, 2009
9:41 PM EDT
KDE3 was bloated. KDE4 is bloated. I've played with KDE 4.2.4 quite a bit with Pardus. It really isn't bad and it works well. I still prefer Xfce.
bigg

Aug 31, 2009
9:44 PM EDT
> I still prefer Xfce.

I prefer a nicely-done XFCE. Vector's XFCE is IMO the best DE independent of resource usage.
caitlyn

Aug 31, 2009
9:45 PM EDT
Vector's is really nice, particularly if you do the upgrade to 4.6.1 and upgrade all the goodies. The Pardus implementation is equally nice.
gus3

Aug 31, 2009
10:17 PM EDT
Sawfish!
caitlyn

Aug 31, 2009
10:19 PM EDT
No, gus3, this isn't a speakeasy. That isn't the password.
gus3

Aug 31, 2009
10:23 PM EDT
Yes, I already know the password. It's "asterisk asterisk asterisk asterisk asterisk". I watched you typing it a couple days ago.
caitlyn

Aug 31, 2009
10:38 PM EDT
You watched me typing? Where were you hiding?

I really do have to be more careful.
azerthoth

Sep 01, 2009
2:01 AM EDT
gus I warned you she would twig to the cybernetic ferrets pretty quick.
caitlyn

Sep 01, 2009
2:17 AM EDT
LOL. My ferrets are very real. The really old, blind one, Ella, is starting to be less than 100% with the litter pan for the first time in her life. (She still mostly goes where she's supposed to.) Anyway, I don't think a cyberferret would do that. I also think someone would go nuts trying to program Chin Soon's personality and quirks into anything :)
dinotrac

Sep 01, 2009
7:20 AM EDT
Ah ha!

We finally ferret out the truth about caitlyn.
lcafiero

Sep 03, 2009
11:52 AM EDT
+1 to caitlyn -- anyone who can get a Marx Bros. reference into LXer should get a prize.
caitlyn

Sep 03, 2009
12:55 PM EDT
Well... the Marx Bros. were my maternal grandfather's cousins so it's a family obligation :)
dinotrac

Sep 03, 2009
1:08 PM EDT
Hey! Talk about a small world!

They were in movies my maternal grandfather's cousins went to see!

What are the chances?
tuxchick

Sep 03, 2009
6:17 PM EDT
Caitlyn, your people are from Freedonia?
caitlyn

Sep 03, 2009
7:08 PM EDT
No, but maybe someone did cheer "Hooray for Captain Spalding!".

The Marx family were Jewish immigrants from Germany, as was my grandfather, though he came much later. The relationship goes back to my great grandparents' generation.
tuxchick

Sep 03, 2009
7:33 PM EDT
No fair. Everyone else has ancestors who were famous or royalty or something. Mine were ordinary. Some of them grew grapes and made wine. Big woop.

Getting back on topic. And I am not sorry. It seems that some sort of tool for recording and tracking user feedback is long overdue. Make pretty graphs and report summaries, and give devs a picture in aggregate of what users think is important. I think bug tracking could use something similar, it seems to me the existing bug trackers are pretty bad. There is nothing to catch duplicates, they're hard for bug reporters to use, they're hard to search, and there aren't any good triaging mechanisms. I think something that organizes all this data into manageable snapshots would go a long way towards relieving developer angst. Or at least give them fewer excuses to ignore users.
caitlyn

Sep 03, 2009
7:38 PM EDT
Quoting:No fair. Everyone else has ancestors who were famous or royalty or something. Mine were ordinary. Some of them grew grapes and made wine. Big woop.

I think if we could all trace our family trees back far enough we'd find somebody famous in them.

Look, you don't want my family history anyway. Both my parents were Holocaust survivors. Lots of the family wasn't that lucky at the time. My father fought in two wars after that. You know how my gradfather's branch of the family ended up in Germany? Escaping the Spanish Inquisition in the late 15th century. Trust me, being boring and growing wine sounds pretty good.

Getting back on topit? Bah! This is LXer.com. We don't need no stinking topics.
Bob_Robertson

Sep 03, 2009
7:55 PM EDT
Hmm... Something about the Mayflower, William the Conqueror, and a few other things.

Who cares about family history anyway, they're dead. Let's MAKE history.
montezuma

Sep 03, 2009
8:05 PM EDT
Completely OT but if you do some simple math you discover that you have around 1 billion ancestors going back only 30 generations i.e. around 600 years. Plenty of room for famous folks there (as well as overlap ewww)
tuxchick

Sep 03, 2009
8:10 PM EDT
Aw who needs celebrity ancestors anyway. What I really want are the kind who remember me generously in their wills.
caitlyn

Sep 03, 2009
8:21 PM EDT
You have rich people in your family, tc? Must be nice...
gus3

Sep 03, 2009
10:47 PM EDT
The Royal Clan Stewart here.

Of course, lots of people would have to die before I could ascend the throne.

Or some watery bint lobs a scimitar at me...
techiem2

Sep 04, 2009
1:17 PM EDT
Clan Montgomery here. We are connected to the EU royalty somewhere along the line. (Dad's a big genealogy buff)

http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/m/o/n/Mark-D-Mont...

(should tell Dad to update that page....)
Storyteller

Sep 04, 2009
1:26 PM EDT
PFFF. . . European family history can only go back so far. . . .My great Uncle has been able to trace our family history back to 18BC. To the Japanese, family lineage is very important.

Now, in our long family history there has been everything from scoundrels to royalty. Me, I am the 46th generation of the Ouchi family.

Back on topic: I am currently using Kubuntu with KDE3x, I'll move to KDE 4x with the next Kubuntu LTS release.
montezuma

Sep 04, 2009
2:41 PM EDT
Och really gus3? I am from clan Wallace.
gus3

Sep 04, 2009
10:32 PM EDT
@mont:

LOL. I went to school with one of your clan, except that it was only traced patrilineally. His family tree was mostly English. ;-)
hkwint

Sep 06, 2009
4:57 PM EDT
Quoting:Add a stand alone file manager and a stand alone auto-mounter and explain why I need a DE at all?

OK, here's the dirty hack I used for the "no DE auto-mounter" problem:

Just install whole freakin' KDE4, but don't actually 'use' it. That means, don't use the 'startkde' command. "wmaker" is still in my .xinitrc (since 2005 I believe; before that I was using BlackBox but it was a bit too spartan), and I still use it. For those of you who don't know WindowMaker: It's ugly - unless you remove _all_ icons like I did. Also, wmaker is unmaintained; or depending on your view it's "fast and stable"; never breaks, never changes. Most important: It's the quickest way to run Ktorrent, Kontact, Konsole and whatever. When using these programs in a non-KDE window manager, it's better to install whole KDE because if you only install KMail and KTorrent on their own, some things may not work. For example when clicking a http link in KMail it didn't start a new tab with that address in Firefox - always gave errors - until I installed whole freakin' KDE; then my problem was gone.

Then, if you need to 'automount' something, just start dolphin, click on the volume you want, and then you can minimalize or even close dolphin. Done! Start your graphical term (I use Konsole nowadays, but any term will do), and you can happy cp or mv to /media/disk/"whatever KDE decided" from the shell.

I had some 'manually configured' auto-mounter in the past, and I did have some manually written udev-rules in the past, but none of it is used anymore (if that's possible, I'm not sure how KDE handles auto-mounting) since I have Dolphin. You see, that's what's great about KDE, you can decide for yourself what parts you want to use and which parts you don't want to use.

The only real problem I have is that I'm using Gentoo, so installing KDE4 (still keyworded / unstable, meaning lots of auto-unmasking) is no joy at all.

Another interesting thing to mention is I was so tired of Amarok being slow (more than 30 sec to start!) I'm using 'cmus', an ncurses music player - ri
montezuma

Sep 06, 2009
5:09 PM EDT
@gus3

Not many English in my line. Here is my great grandfather:

[url=http://www.fullpointsfooty.net/wa-wh.htm#George Wallace (South Adelaide)]http://www.fullpointsfooty.net/wa-wh.htm#George Wallace (Sou...[/url]

He was a great photographer as well....
caitlyn

Sep 06, 2009
6:10 PM EDT
On automounting without a DE:

Vector Linux Light uses VL-Hot, which is a lightweight replacement for HAL that can handle most of what you want. It won't automount a CD/DVD when inserted, but it does most everything else. It's mostly scripts plus a GUI front-end configuration tool written in Gambas so it should be possible to get it to work with any distro. There's no overhead (as in the HAL daemon running all the time) and no need to install KDE, which is frankly huge.

See: http://broadcast.oreilly.com/2009/02/vl-hot-a-non-polling-al...

That's an article I wrote on VL-Hot.
hkwint

Sep 07, 2009
5:14 AM EDT
Thanks Caitlyn. Wow, I must be ignorant, VL-Hot has been covered on LXer in February:

http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/116305/index.html
caitlyn

Sep 07, 2009
10:35 AM EDT
Hans, I don't think you're ignorant. I think it's impossible to keep up with all the interesting Linux projects out there. VL-Hot gets very little coverage and hasn't been picked up by other lightweight distros which, IMHO, is truly a pity.
hkwint

Sep 07, 2009
11:24 AM EDT
Sadly, there's not much documentation and I can only find how to download from SVN. Given that VL-hot doesn't work for CDROM's / stuff present at boot time I'm not sure it's worth the hassle.
caitlyn

Sep 08, 2009
12:01 AM EDT
You could download the Vector Linux package. It's just an lzma compressed tarball (Slackware package).

You are correct that you still have to manually mount a CD-ROM/DVD-ROM. Of course, something like the mount applet in Xfce works fine for that.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!