Turing not just a codebreaker or computer scientist

Story: Prime Minister apologises over death of Alan TuringTotal Replies: 13
Author Content
montezuma

Sep 11, 2009
2:26 PM EDT
He was also a mathematician who made fundamental contributions to the field of logic:

http://www.amazon.com/Mathematical-Logic-Turing-Mathison-Wor...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_logic#Recursion_th...

The Turing machine wasn't just the "first" computer program it was the fundamental prototype of an algorithm which is a very deep mathematical and philisophical concept.

/rant

His persecution for being gay was a deep disgrace for the UK.
Koriel

Sep 11, 2009
5:44 PM EDT
Back in the dim and distant past when i was about 16 and learning to program Z80 assembly on the ZX Spectrum, I started reading up on everything computer related and found out about Bletchely Park and Alan Turing and how he took his own life, to say the least I was disgusted with my country the first thing that came into my head back then was what the hell had they been fighting the war for if it wasn't for freedom to be whatever you wish without persecution, in fact i think i can safely say that I think he would probably have received better treatment from the Nazi's if we had lost the war he certainly couldn't of received any worse.

So it really was about time he received an apology as a signatory to the petition i'm pleased to hear that he received it but i still think its to little and way to late for Alan Turing may he rest in peace.
montezuma

Sep 11, 2009
7:38 PM EDT
Completely concur. To treat one of your greatest intellects that way is truly unbelievable.
golem

Sep 11, 2009
8:10 PM EDT
Agree with everything that's been said.

The exquisite irony of the situation he was in was that he couldn't even say, in his own defense, to those who were persecuting him what he had been doing to save Britain's bacon, because it was top secret.
tracyanne

Sep 11, 2009
8:14 PM EDT
Thankfully the laws that made that persecution possible, have been changed or nullified.
dinotrac

Sep 11, 2009
9:25 PM EDT
Koriel --

Turing's treatment was shameful, without quesiton, but the Nazi's put gays in concentration camps -- at least those gays they didn't simply shoot.

It's a mighty low standard, but the bad guys still managed to nose out the good guys, even when the good guys were being reprehensible.
herzeleid

Sep 12, 2009
1:33 PM EDT
OT - The book "cryptonomicon" by Neal Stephenson (a real gem BTW) is a historical tech novel which manages to weave some interesting material about Alan Turing into the story. I'm sure some of the folks here have read it - for those who haven't, it's definitely worth a look.
helios

Sep 12, 2009
11:53 PM EDT
Do you know why Turling killed himself? The chemical and hormonal treatments given to him turned him into a physical abomination. I don't care who "apologized"...can you imagine what he could have given the world had he not been transformed into a human freak show physically?

Those that persecuted him for his natural being and spirit went on to live full lives more than likely.

THAT is the shame that era of British law and society bears.

h
d0nk3y

Sep 13, 2009
1:58 AM EDT
"To treat one of your greatest intellects that way is truly unbelievable."

Indeed. This is shocking treatment of *any* human being regardless of intellect or orientation (sexual or otherwise).
tracyanne

Sep 13, 2009
3:08 AM EDT
Quoting:This is shocking treatment of *any* human being regardless of intellect or orientation (sexual or otherwise).

you nailed it.
caitlyn

Sep 13, 2009
3:17 PM EDT
Quoting:ndeed. This is shocking treatment of *any* human being regardless of intellect or orientation (sexual or otherwise).

Agreed. I also wonder just how much progress we've really made in the last 65 years. See: http://www.pamshouseblend.com/diary/12591/
dinotrac

Sep 13, 2009
4:50 PM EDT
Caitlyn -

For generally being so vocal WRT TOS violations, it's pretty cheeky of you to put that link up.

That is a political issue with no relation to Linux.
tracyanne

Sep 13, 2009
5:27 PM EDT
And everything to do with the current subject, in my opinion.
dinotrac

Sep 13, 2009
6:02 PM EDT
ta -

Has nothing to do with Turing or British policies during and immediately after WWII.

Frankly, once upon a time, I would have welcomed the link on the basis that it is a logical extension of the discussion -- and-- hey! part of communication is to stretch the envelope and even have a little fun.

That was then. This is now, and it's as much a TOS violation as many things that have been complained about on this site. It just happens to be one that you like.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!