Open Source Makes Big Gains at the London Stock Exchange

Story: London Stock Exchange to abandon failed Windows platformTotal Replies: 11
Author Content
henke54

Oct 06, 2009
9:06 AM EDT
quote by Glyn Moody :

Quoting:Best of all, perhaps, are the knock-on effects:

With LSE and its Italian subsidiary, Borsa Italiana, converting to Linux, Microsoft’s .Net offering is left with virtually no takers – the only remaining one being Johannesburg Stock Exchange (JSE). ‘JSE has been aware for some time that the LSE has been considering its trading technology options,’ says Leanne Parsons, JSE’s chief operating officer. The South African exchange ‘will be holding discussions’ with its UK counterpart regarding the latter’s technology replacement project. However, it is ‘a bit too early in the process’ to go into any detail, she adds.
http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?ent...
Sander_Marechal

Oct 06, 2009
10:09 AM EDT
What wonderful news :-)
jacog

Oct 06, 2009
10:11 AM EDT
Good luck with that. South Africa's IT is Microsoft-centric and change does not happen too easily down here.
Sander_Marechal

Oct 06, 2009
10:15 AM EDT
I wouldn't say that too fast jacog. A stock Excahnge is not your average home or company. Also, for JSE it is beneficial to go along with the other stock exchanges.
hkwint

Oct 06, 2009
11:57 AM EDT
What that would probably means is that JSE has to pay for adaptation of TradElect to the future - all on their own. Or Microsoft has to buy some other stock exchange, but I wonder how likely that would be.

While JSE pays to Accenture and MS, on the other hand LSE / Borsa Italiana / Oslo Børs have bought their own company which can adapt the software to their needs and they can even resell their software (or support). So they gain independence and own their software, while the JSE remains dependent. One day or another this may cause problems for JSE. Probably not today, as I assume JSE is smaller than LSE.
phsolide

Oct 06, 2009
6:52 PM EDT
The article that SJVN seems to have taken his cues from seems very cautious about pooping on MSFT and Accenture.

Also, there's a big ol' comment on the SJVN article from an ex-Accenture drone, doing the usual management waffle, but finally coming down on MSFT as the root cause. (Accenture is hardware/software agnostic?!? Ha!)

Nevertheless, this event seems really catastrophic for MSFT propaganda about .NET and C#. This seems like a major failure, after probably all possible effect got thrown after the problem. I mean, I only know what I read in the papers, but this seems really bad for MSFT, when all they can do is tone down the stories, not get them eliminated totally.
Sander_Marechal

Oct 07, 2009
3:10 AM EDT
You should read the other article on the front page about this. It has even more interesting details. LSE simply bought the Linux provider outright for 30 million, which is a lot less than the 65 million it was supposed to pay MS. Also, several other stock exchanges that have deals in place with LSE will now also switch to Linux instead if Windows. They were supposed to switch to whatever LS is switching to.
bigg

Oct 07, 2009
1:46 PM EDT
One question. I thought that the rock-solid, never-go-down systems are built on Unix. Linux is good for most things, and Windows is obviously a joke for mission-critical apps, but when your career demands an OS that doesn't crash you go with a Unix.
Bob_Robertson

Oct 07, 2009
2:38 PM EDT
> but when your career demands an OS that doesn't crash you go with a Unix.

I've never had Linux crash once it's booted, except through hardware/power faults.

The only problem I've ever had, once the system ran, was the 2.4.9 swap storms.
jdixon

Oct 07, 2009
3:25 PM EDT
> I've never had Linux crash once it's booted, except through hardware/power faults.

I think I've gotten a kernel oops maybe three times in over 15+ years now. I have gotten apps which trash the display, keyboard, and mouse. That usually requires a reboot to fix, but the underlying system is still running fine, as can be demonstrated by a quick ping/ssh from an external machine.
gus3

Oct 07, 2009
3:40 PM EDT
Quoting:I've never had Linux crash once it's booted, except through hardware/power faults.
Try running tcpdump or Wireshark with a libpcap that doesn't match the kernel. The flashing lights on the keyboard are pretty to watch...
krisum

Oct 07, 2009
3:46 PM EDT
> I thought that the rock-solid, never-go-down systems are built on Unix.

This "myth" may have been more due to quality of hardware rather than software. I called it a "myth" since I have seen no data to support this. Given that most of the top supercomputers/HPC clusters, or majority of online servers, or largest trading systems run Linux this may just be propaganda from the "real" Unix guys (which actually has taken the worst beating with the rise of Linux).

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!