I can confirm that 9.10 is a big step forward...

Story: Ubuntu 9.10 Netbook PerformanceTotal Replies: 24
Author Content
caitlyn

Oct 24, 2009
1:33 AM EDT
I can confirm that 9.10 is a big step forward on my netbook. 9.04 was horrendous due to broken Intel graphics drivers. Sound problems were also common for those of us with Intel chipsets in both 8.10 and 9.04. I've got 9.10 RC running now on my HP Mini 110 and the graphics issues do seem to be a thing of the past. Not only is performance better but I haven't found any serious bugs yet. (The network-manager problem I experienced in 9.10 beta appears to have finally been fixed.)

Right now this seems like a very promising release. I'll know more as I use it more.
Steven_Rosenber

Oct 24, 2009
2:22 AM EDT
But is 9.10 going to work with Intel chipsets without xorg.conf files, or will we have to resort to the customary hackery.

It's not that I can't do it (the last two years have taught me this one thing ...), but there couldn't be a bigger turnoff for potential new users than broken video and exhortations from experienced users to grab a shovel and goggles, suit up and dive into xorg.conf.
gus3

Oct 24, 2009
10:50 AM EDT
@Steven:

The video on my Eee 900 was miserable under stock Jaunty, but it's been fine ever since I installed the Karmic alpha, and it has never had an Xorg.conf.

(It's frightening that that sentence parses...)
montezuma

Oct 24, 2009
6:39 PM EDT
@Steven

I am a bit uneasy about this issue on my thinkpad (X300) as there are still some serious open intel bugs on launchpad. I'm upgrading right at this minute. I'll post back if there were any problems.

Edit: Flawless upgrade and the video has improved noticeably. glxgears (flawed I know) framerates have soared. All else seems in order and the desktop is noticeably snappier. Thumbs up.
tracyanne

Oct 25, 2009
2:08 AM EDT
Ubuntu 9.10 fixes a number of issues I had on an MSi netbook. Suspend/hibernate now works perfectly, as does wireless networking.
herzeleid

Oct 25, 2009
8:30 PM EDT
After taking the plunge and upgrading both my laptops to ubuntu 9.10 release candidate, I'm glad I did.

I no longer need the fglrx binary blob from ATI - I have full 3D acceleration and desktop effects with the included radeon driver. The visual style of 9.10 is much more subtle and nicer looking than any previous ubuntu release. I also noticed that the laptop suspends automatically when the lid is closed - in earlier releases, I had to explicitly tell it to suspend.

All in all, a nice upgrade. No downside yet, and this is not even the official release yet.
montezuma

Oct 25, 2009
9:14 PM EDT
I knew it was too good to be true. My internal microphone doesn't work due to a pulseaudio bug. Alsa can see it but pulse cannot. Grrr....
gus3

Oct 25, 2009
9:21 PM EDT
@monte:

Are you saying it has no Pulse? *rimshot*
caitlyn

Oct 25, 2009
10:34 PM EDT
montezuma: Not too late to report the bug. I was surprised by a fix between beta and rc. You may be surprised too :)
tracyanne

Oct 26, 2009
4:18 AM EDT
Somthing funny is going on my 9.04 install, my production machine, has become somewhat unstable since the last update. I've had to turn the gnome-power-manager off, otherwise the machine seems to power down the monitor after a short period of time, and the only way to recover, short of restarting, is to put the machine into suspend, then bring it back out of suspend.

It's quite strange.
Steven_Rosenber

Oct 26, 2009
12:06 PM EDT
On my Toshiba (Satellite 1100, made in 2002), if you leave it at the login screen long enough for the screensaver to engage, you can't get it back without cycling the power button. Used to be that ctrl-alt-backspace was enough, and I should probably just re-implement that (I've seen more than a few Web pages with two different hacks to get ctrl-alt-backspace working again).

This is in 9.04, and I had the same problem in 8.04. And suspend-resume has never worked on this particular laptop. It'll suspend, but that's the end of it (no resume) ... making the "feature" less than useful.

I used to spend a lot of time on my many 2001-2 laptops trying to get suspend/resume to work, but I gave up awhile back. I'd rather it work, but a) seems impossible unless out of the box and b) I've got bigger fish.

I think the rule is: suspend/resume works on machines owned by developers ... doesn't work on the rest.

Morale: Use what the developers use (hence mad rush to Thinkpads ...)
caitlyn

Oct 26, 2009
12:43 PM EDT
I don't run *buntu on my 2002 Toshiba because it's just too darned slow for that. Vector Linux suspend/resume does work but... it doesn't use the hardware suspend/resume the way Toshiba designed it and therefore doesn't use the hibernation partition. It doesn't require a reboot, though :)
Sander_Marechal

Oct 26, 2009
12:51 PM EDT
@Steven, instead of reinstating the Ctrl-Alt-Backspace hack, you could also simply disable suspend :-)
Steven_Rosenber

Oct 26, 2009
3:36 PM EDT
I already turned suspend off ... I still want ctrl-alt-backspace
caitlyn

Oct 26, 2009
3:42 PM EDT
There is a new keysequence that replaces CTRL-ALT-BKSP but I honestly forget what it is. That's an upstream X.org change so we're going to have to live with it in pretty much all distros :(
Steven_Rosenber

Oct 26, 2009
4:03 PM EDT
Clearly the Xorg developers hate me. Personally.
caitlyn

Oct 26, 2009
5:19 PM EDT
Then they must hate me too.
tracyanne

Oct 26, 2009
6:06 PM EDT
I can still suspend resume, I just have to do it manually, that is press the power button to bring up the menu and select suspend, and press the power button to resume.
montezuma

Oct 26, 2009
6:39 PM EDT
Caitlyn,

The bug has been in launchpad for a while and went upstream to gnome and then up to pulseaudio developers. So it is out of Ubuntu's hands until the pulse dev patches...
gus3

Oct 26, 2009
7:06 PM EDT
Here's an interesting patch to a HAL policy. Not knowing enough about HAL, I'm not sure how to use it:

http://www.mail-archive.com/pld-cvs-commit@lists.pld-linux.o... (note that is NOT an email, the link still works)

But I like the commit log: "shove Ctrl-Alt-Backspace down xorg's throat".
caitlyn

Oct 26, 2009
8:25 PM EDT
I may have to see what versions that patch works with and if it works with my favorite distros :) Yeah, that was one unpopular change. Nice find, gus3.
Sander_Marechal

Oct 26, 2009
8:55 PM EDT
No need for patches. There's a simple application called "dontzap" that you can use to enable/disable Ctrl-Alt-Backspace: http://www.ubuntugeek.com/howto-enable-ctrl-alt-backspace-in...
gus3

Oct 26, 2009
9:32 PM EDT
@Sander:

... Good Lord, those comments are such a swampland ...
mortenalver

Oct 27, 2009
2:45 AM EDT
I tried the latest Karmic live CD on my laptop. It has Broadcom wireless, which didn't work immediately. I told it to activate the Broadcom driver. It told me to reboot, but I couldn't see how that was going to work on a Live CD, so I tried the network instead. Now it worked, but the computer started to lock up for a couple of shorter periods, then completely. The same happened after a reboot and another try. I'm not 100% sure if it is because of the Broadcom driver, but it looks like it. Could things like this happen because I started using the driver without rebooting?
mortenalver

Oct 27, 2009
1:31 PM EDT
The problem seems to be gone after installing it to the hard disk.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!