Not true ...

Story: Report: Where is Linux's Answer to Microsoft's Small Business Server?Total Replies: 8
Author Content
steever

Nov 02, 2009
6:57 AM EDT
There's SME Server (contribs.org) Clear OS (clearfoundation.org) ebox (ebox-platform.org)

Good research, Stevey J!
tracyanne

Nov 02, 2009
8:56 AM EDT
And clearly you have no idea how most Small businesses source their computing needs. Hint, they don't search the web for a Linux distribution that they can install onto a computer they happen to have laying around with no OS, and then configure to meet their needs.

Instead what they do is ring up Dell ot HP or Harvey Norman or the Good Guys, and ask what they can recommend, and how much.
rijelkentaurus

Nov 02, 2009
9:20 AM EDT
Until there is a local systems integrator someone can call to get one of the prementioned distros setup on a box, there is little room for a small business to run anything but SBS. Even if they don't use the email or SharePoint, it's still cheaper to get than Server Standard.
dinotrac

Nov 02, 2009
10:52 AM EDT
Yes and No.

First, small business is not monolithic. There are teeny tiny business that are likely to be SBS OR Mac --- you'd be surprised at how many micro businesses have turned to Macs in recent years -- because that's what they know about, or that's who they know (ie -- the computer guy they know is expert in these systems).

They are too busy to put much effort into their computers and want a nice turnkey system that will meet their needs.

As you go up just a bit, to larger small businesses, you might find linux running web servers and the like, but it will depend on their IT guy (IT department= IT guy. They are big enough to have one and only one, and not a very expensive one).

In the end, however, you can't escape the network effect.

Linux tends to be a loser in these companies because Linux needs somebody to sell it, install it, support it, and, at the very small level, there aren't very many of those.

steever

Nov 02, 2009
10:59 AM EDT
The title of the article is "Where is Linux's answer to Microsoft's SBS?" The best the author came up with was Suse's offering. There are others - I've mention the three best (IMO). Any network administrator/manager at an SME who pays for Microsoft SBS without seriously considering the more secure and more powerful (and let's not forget more affordable) opensource alternatives is not doing their job properly. I have a very good idea of the way schools (medium enterprise) waste money on things they could get for free, just because their MCSE administrators have no idea that they can shop around.

A school I know runs their own exchange server - it gets lots of spam and viruses. I put an opensource anti-spam/virus gateway in front of it. Worked great! A new admin came in and replaced it with a barracuda appliance. I had to laugh: same clam av and same spam assassin, just more expensive. Same thing happens every day at schools and SMEs - wasting money. Like paying thousands for proprietary learning management systems when there's better opensource alternatives available like moodle. Or running a website under IIS when there's apache ...

I guess, Tracey Anne, that I'm trying to say that there ARE opensource SME lan servers, web servers, email servers, firewalls, learning management systems etc that out perform proprietary systems. It's just that network admins don't spend enough time looking for alternatives. The author of the article should have mentioned the three products above - they are very popular, work great, and can save an SME a heap of cash AND trouble.
dinotrac

Nov 02, 2009
11:53 AM EDT
Besides, the premise of the article is wrong if we are talking about software.

Nearly any linux distribution is, in effect, a Small Business Server because Linux doesn't differentiate or restrict in the same way that Microsoft's offerings do.

The key is the VAR or IT consultant being there to set it up.

Folks doing that with Linux are few and far-between by comparison with Windows, although it is not the problem that it used to be.
jsusanka

Nov 02, 2009
12:37 PM EDT
"Besides, the premise of the article is wrong if we are talking about software.

Nearly any linux distribution is, in effect, a Small Business Server because Linux doesn't differentiate or restrict in the same way that Microsoft's offerings do.

The key is the VAR or IT consultant being there to set it up.

Folks doing that with Linux are few and far-between by comparison with Windows, although it is not the problem that it used to be."

Exactly - you hit nail on the head. Linux doesn't need to be pre-packaged or cut down. You can make it do whatever you want and more. I have set up a few file and print servers for small companies using Linux and ubuntu LTS. But if the companies wanted a wiki, ldap, or whatever on those same servers it would be a no brainer to setup. Shoot using webmin some of the people do their own administration on these servers without me. Web interface makes that simple.

The MCSE's consultants are brainwashed. It is that simple and they will not venture out of their little comfortable realm of microsoft.

Microsoft is hurting and some the MCSE's I talk to are asking me more about Linux are just getting sick of the microsoft hype and nothing really changes.

I know the businesses could care less they just want to sell their product and make money. How that is performed doesn't matter to them.

Things are changing slowly but surely.

TxtEdMacs

Nov 02, 2009
2:09 PM EDT
Quoting:Microsoft is hurting and some the MCSE's I talk to are asking me more about Linux ...
, which means MS has one of their periodic sacrifice your team actions to boost their take.

I saw this long ago when I was a developer using a Windows tool. All were invited to become a MS Developer (approximate) at a fairly stiff, yearly fee that promised all the MS tools and their support in landing contracts. I was tempted, but I restrained myself despite the programs obvious success at recruiting independent developers into the program. I knew several.in my area that joined.

Too soon MS revised the terms, with no grandfather clause that threw out all single person operations. Meaning to qualify the operation had to have their multi preson team that they vetted. So at MS's sole discretion operations that had been endorsed by MS and had no complaints filed against them were for then on excluded as unworthy. I seem to remember this also resulted in the program generating more funds for MS.

Again, too soon I read tales of MS aid in obtaining contracts where the MS representative pushed inferior solutions onto members' clients when they were supposedly there to support the endorsed MS associated developer.

Perhaps this is why some MCSE's are beginning to show an interest in Linux, due to simple survival instincts.

YBT
caitlyn

Nov 02, 2009
2:55 PM EDT
Interestingly, I'm doing more Windows and Novell NetWare work than I've done in years simply because customers want the trusted people they have to wear many hats and fix things promptly. In general it's a really good idea to have a diverse skillset in an economic downturn. Yes, I know, some companies are demaning hyper-specialized skillsets to reduce the number of applicants but the overall trend is the opposite. If you're going to hire (even a contractor) get someone who is flexible and can do lots of things.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!