Ubuntu finally gets it right ... on my machine anyway

Story: Ubuntu X.org Guru Calls for Desktop Help Total Replies: 5
Author Content
Steven_Rosenber

Nov 25, 2009
7:07 PM EDT
My entry on this very topic should hit the newswire at some point, but to make a very long story very short, I can now use kernel mode setting (which I think is the default way things work for Xorg configuration in Ubuntu Karmic), and X works on my Intel-video-equipped laptop with no GRUB fixes, no xorg.conf, just working X.

Coincidentally, it's about a month after the release of Karmic, and had I followed my own advice and waited a month or two after the release date before upgrading to it, I'd presumably have spared myself quite a bit of pain.
caitlyn

Nov 25, 2009
8:41 PM EDT
@Steven: I´ve had the same experience on the HP netbook with the Intel 945GME graphics chipset. Everything works just as it should.

Karmic is the first Ubuntu release that I haven´t had any significant complaints with since Edgy Eft (7.04). On my hardware they have, indeed, gotten it right.
azerthoth

Nov 25, 2009
10:12 PM EDT
caitlyn, 2 out of how many? With that track record getting it right is probably more mistake than design. (think a million monkeys and Shakespeare)
montezuma

Nov 26, 2009
11:04 AM EDT
6 out of 6 work for me. 4 desktops with ages varying from 4 years to 1 month and graphics cards Intel and nvidia. 2 laptops with intel and ati graphics cards. Only two bugs worth noting: Laptop occasionally does not connect after suspend and the old desktop has an nvidia driver not supporting the latest kernel. Apart from that things have been glitch free.
softwarejanitor

Nov 26, 2009
12:03 PM EDT
I've got Ubuntu 9.10 working successfully on a (Dell) machine at work, 3 (Shuttle xPC) here at home and a (Acer Aspire One 8") netbook. Thats really only 3 significantly different configurations because the Shuttle xPC boxes use the same mobo and the video cards in them use the same nVidia chipset. Seems like Karmic is pretty good so far.
herzeleid

Nov 26, 2009
6:33 PM EDT
I've got karmic koala working wonderfully on 2 laptops and 2 desktops - 1 each intel and nvidia and 2 intel i945 video chipsets.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!