Great article

Story: 10 Things I Hate About LinuxTotal Replies: 13
Author Content
mortenalver

Nov 27, 2009
4:42 AM EDT
Just joking, it's as clueless as the rest :)
phsolide

Nov 27, 2009
4:25 PM EDT
"Ken Hess" + DaniWeb = "Do Not Read It"
jezuch

Nov 27, 2009
5:04 PM EDT
I must confess that this time curiosity was stronger than me. But I only looked at the captions. It was enough.
TxtEdMacs

Nov 27, 2009
5:15 PM EDT
All,

I have a suggestion: we start a new weekly column in LXer called: Shilling. And for our first article I have the perfect title: "Ten Things I Hate About Ken Hess".

I am requesting you the avid readers of LXer help me in my quest to pillar (and/or shame) Ken Hess. I need your help, because I like Ken H. hate real work ... somehow that came out wrong. In any case, the enemy is in sight, I order: Attack!

All I need is ninety percent or more and we are in click heaven.

YBT
azerthoth

Nov 27, 2009
5:27 PM EDT
Item 1: Consistent lack of coherent message with regards to topic.
jhansonxi

Nov 27, 2009
5:28 PM EDT
I agree with some of them.

#1 - It's a feature. #2 - There are many closed-source applications that succeed at this but it's not easy. #3 - If you like making life hard for yourself then it's a problem. #4 - There are always fanatics. #5 - We don't need another round of the GNU/FSF/Linus/Tanenbaum debate. #6 - There are always fanatics. #7 - UAC is another solution but who would want it? #8 - No opinion but I suspect it will get in there some day. #9 - Only a problem with some repositories. It's also a UI issue. #10 - Most Windows shops say the same. Good riddance.
ABCC

Nov 28, 2009
9:24 AM EDT
I'm with you all the way TxtEdMacs, According to Ken Hess one of the things he hates about linux is its:

- snip - 7. Unchattiness ..... The unchatty nature of Linux is often one of the major barriers to Linux adoption among the masses. Although they don't know what to call it, that's what it is: Unchattiness. There's no "Abort, Retry or Fail?" and no "Are You Sure?" - snip -

When it comes to Ken Hess it's his chattiness that I loath. Anyone know if theres a Firefox plugin that will throw an "Are You Sure?" or perhaps even "Abort, Cancel or Fail?" popup whenever I come across a Ken Hess article?
TxtEdMacs

Nov 28, 2009
10:08 AM EDT
RE:
Quoting:"Abort, Cancel or Fail?" popup
Why?

If it's an Ken Hess endeavor one may assert with a greater than 90% certainty that it is already a "Fail", but why would you want to know why?

So just train yourself to "Cancel" out your eyesight when the mind detects Ken Hess items. Ok?

At last resort just "Abort", which should have been done at inception, had they the courage.

So persist until we have our LXer column to heap calumnies upon his head.

Until then, the Best;

YBT

hkwint

Nov 28, 2009
12:08 PM EDT
Quoting:I have a suggestion: we start a new weekly column in LXer called: Shilling.

MBT, that would require acting instead of just talking. Submitting new stories has always been open for you and anyone else wishing to write anything interesting. As long as it relates to FOSS and doesn't violate TOS.

Quoting:When it comes to Ken Hess it's his chattiness that I loath.

Sometimes, when I 'm tired (most of the times) I read things which simply are not on my screen. That's how I noted chattiness and shittyness almost sound the same.
Scott_Ruecker

Nov 28, 2009
1:24 PM EDT
Your all missing the immense entertainment value he brings to the table. Who among you has not felt unstoppable laughter rising inside themselves after reading yet another one of his extremely well crafted writing escapades? Hmm? Hmm?

;-)

tuxchick

Nov 28, 2009
1:31 PM EDT
Quoting: that would require acting instead of just talking. Submitting new stories has always been open for you and anyone else wishing to write anything interesting. As long as it relates to FOSS and doesn't violate TOS.

Oh well Hans, you're raising that bar way too high. Because everyone knows it's easier and less-time consuming to write dozens of lengthy rants than to submit a single good story, or submit a nice LXer feature rather than wasting a good response in a comment. My fave: "This site is no good because this one story out of the hundreds you post every week sucks!"
Scott_Ruecker

Nov 28, 2009
1:34 PM EDT
Quoting:My fave: "This site is no good because this one story out of the hundreds you post every week sucks!"

Welcome to my world Carla..oh wait, your already in my world aren't you? ;-)

tuxchick

Nov 28, 2009
2:01 PM EDT
Yes Scott :)
caitlyn

Nov 28, 2009
7:08 PM EDT
@Scott: Laughter? For me the usual reaction to a Ken Hess story is nausea.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!