A Terrible Disservice

Story: How to Fix Your Relatives' Terrible ComputerTotal Replies: 11
Author Content
HoTMetaL

Nov 28, 2009
3:35 AM EDT
So this guy proposes using an Ubuntu LiveCD only to backup files on his relatives' terribly-broken, malware-infested, unbootable computer... only to reinstall Windows on it. What a genius. He won't admit it, but he enjoys doing this every holiday season while everyone else is watching football. How else is he to impress the folks with all his geeky intellect? He has the one tool to make his relatives' computer just work, but chooses to not use it.

They must be in-laws.
feistyfeline

Nov 28, 2009
3:49 AM EDT
Trust me I've been there. Best solution is to put your foot down, and say no. You are going to have to learn how to feed yourself. Backup your files and then reinstall your Windows. If you need any help beyond that then call me. Usually I only accept to help the irredeemable like when the computer won't start. There's two things going on here and @HoTMetal hits the nail on the head: U'r being taken advantage of, and these are people that couldn't care less to keep their computer in good working order, since they all know that you are a pushover that can sacrifice u'r time to fix their problems. After I counted the many hours of my precious personal time (that I usually have very little of), and witnessing people replace a perfectly installed Ubuntu or other Linux system replaced with nasty Windows sans any kind of firewall or antivirus I threw my hands up and prefer they only ask for minimal help for my own good.
Sander_Marechal

Nov 28, 2009
6:47 AM EDT
Yup, I do the same. I'll fix hardware issues for family members, but the only software fix I do is install Linux. I refuse to do anything with Windows. That occasionally causes disappointments, such as when they think some hardware is broken, I sweep in with my Ubuntu LiveCD, pop it in and the hardware works. Sorry, you're on your own. Must be a Windows issue.
hkwint

Nov 28, 2009
9:28 AM EDT
Quoting:I sweep in with my Ubuntu LiveCD, pop it in and the hardware works

Yep, that's how I 'saved' a 20Gb drive before. Not using Ubuntu, but it was Linux of course! Windows tends to tell you there's an issue, gives some fancy hex number and then it can't boot, stopping with some blue screen or something. But it doesn't tel you there's a problem with the hardware or with itself.

On Linux, I encountered a similar problem - the kernel started spitting weird messages and wouldn't boot. Except here the problem was the harddrive, the SATA-connector which was already broke had 'fallen of'. This is because the bad design of the SATA-connectors. The first time I connected it, the plastic broke, and now I have to fiddle the 4 (or so?) metal pins to exactly align in the four holes of the broken connector. Worked like a charm for two years, but due to vibrations or something the connection went bad and my 4-drive RAID-array of course failed, without a rescue-OS. Really stupid of me of having 4 drives and not to have a rescue OS!

Maybe that would be something to for Windows users requiring your help: Make some partition Windows "can't touch". Maybe "W95 hidden fat"? Install Linux on it, as some alternative when Windows doesn't boot. Then don't help out when Windows fails, just tell them to boot option two in syslinux / GRUB and fix Windows themselves. In the ideal situation, Linux on the 'hidden' partition would be able to access the failed Windows partition.
Scott_Ruecker

Nov 28, 2009
1:31 PM EDT
I am the same as you now Sander, but I am lucky because I have now been using Linux for so long that everyone knows I use it so they only call when they have reached the end of their Windows rope and want me to "Wipe Windows off and make it so my computer works again please?"

My favorite kind of convert, the desperate and willing..lol!
Sander_Marechal

Nov 28, 2009
1:39 PM EDT
Those are great converts Scott :-) There's another type I like: desperate parents whose kids manage to totally screw up the computer with spyware and other nasties within a month after dad last reinstalled everything. When I tell them that (a) Linux has no virusses and (b) the kids won't be able to install software themselves, their eyes start to shine :-)
tracyanne

Nov 29, 2009
4:32 AM EDT
What a whole lot of wasted effort, when simply installing Linux would save his parents and himself so much grief.
SamShazaam

Nov 29, 2009
10:15 AM EDT
I will fix it one time if they have the original copy of windows. Most do not. I will not risk my career by installing a pirated or illegal copy of Windows. Many people think I am being a stubborn jerk because of this. This solution lasts an average of 6-12 months. At the second occurrence I insist on Linux or they go to a computer service and pay for it themselves. Stubbornness has a price.
Sander_Marechal

Nov 29, 2009
4:51 PM EDT
SamShazaam: You're a kinder man than I am :-)
tracyanne

Nov 29, 2009
5:01 PM EDT
I offer them Linux, if they insist on Windows I charge them, I don't see why someone else should get the money for it, if they don't have a Windows disk, I tell them will have to get one first. Mostly after I show people Linux and explain it to them they want Linux. AS for my family, I don't touch their computers, I told them if they want Windows they don't come to me.
Bob_Robertson

Nov 29, 2009
5:40 PM EDT
> I offer them Linux, if they insist on Windows I charge them

Bingo. That's exactly what I've been doing. Sadly, only two people have taken me up on it.

The rest want their Windows to "work", so they get Firefox with a few security plug-ins and the removal of Internet Exploder shortcuts and menu items.

hkwint

Nov 30, 2009
5:11 AM EDT
Well, FF is usually a good start. As far as I am aware Windows-users are quicker to update to a new version of Firefox because they don't depend on some artificial disttro-authority to approve the new version. They just click on 'update' when Firefox says a new version is available.

So when it comes to updating to newer versions I think you're even safer on Windows than on Linux. Nonetheless, OTOH some browser-issuse may only be a security hole in the Windows version and not in the Linux version, I'm not sure about that. That would be an interesting question to Moz.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!