The article overlooks reconstructor.org

Story: Remix Linux: how to customise your installTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
theduke459

Dec 01, 2009
12:19 AM EDT
I just finished creating my own own remix using the excellent service offered at reconstructor.org. Using their web site you set up an account with a few dollars deposited to cover infrastructure and bandwidth costs and then design your remix through a nice web 2.0 interface. Once you're remix is all set (and the remix can also involve your own customization scripts) you submit it for building. When finished you are sent an email that includes a link for downloading your ISO image.

My experience with the service was totally positive, including almost instantaneous email and irc support on multiple occasions (my own remix was a bit more complicated than most). I put $20 into my account, and that covered, it seems, at least 30 rebuild/download cycles.
gus3

Dec 01, 2009
12:50 AM EDT
Bah, whippersnapper! I had to hack my own installer CD image, and it took me a week and a half, and 150 burned coasters. And I was glad to have that!

I swear, kids these days. They don't know how good they got it.
tuxchick

Dec 01, 2009
1:24 AM EDT
No kidding gus3. By dang, they need to suffer more. Pain and misery, just like us.
techiem2

Dec 01, 2009
11:15 AM EDT
I vote we make them all go through the joy of installing Slackware from floppies and manually configuring everything at least once like we had to do in the early days (and burned out a floppy drive doing it too..).... That'll make them appreciate these fancy auto-customization services, configless xorg, etc.

azerthoth

Dec 01, 2009
11:55 AM EDT
gus, you want a kids these days? I woke up to 'going to remove git from installer to replace it with unetbootin' even acknowledging that our overlay uses git. nice wtf moment to bump into first thing in the morning.
gus3

Dec 01, 2009
1:55 PM EDT
http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20091201
caitlyn

Dec 01, 2009
2:57 PM EDT
Cute, gus3.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!