Thank you!

Story: Expired Microsoft rights management certificate locks out Office 2003 usersTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
Alterax

Dec 15, 2009
11:53 PM EDT
I've been dealing with a Microsoft afficionado for several months debating MS-RMS (and FSF-RMS's take on MS-RMS.) Since archives and data retention are important to me, I presented this very same scenario: what if something happens to the original certificate, such as accidental or intentional revocation?

Though I'm glad for all involved that a hotfix was later presented for this particular issue, it still shows that these concerns are quite valid and should be considered before implementing this type of technology.
gus3

Dec 16, 2009
12:24 AM EDT
The implications are no different than the Amazon Kindle's fiasco over Orwell's 1984:

"You will read only what we let you read."

And that's why I say, "Digital Rights Strangling, and its supporters, can go to H*ll."
tuxchick

Dec 16, 2009
1:46 AM EDT
This is nothing new, any MS admin has experienced the horrors of broken installation CD keys, unavailable MS authentication servers, and MS phone reps that are as helpful as any random fencepost. Except fence posts are useful. I recall many incidents where installing new MS software took several days because of authentication hassles. Any admin who was willing to spend a couple minutes Web surfing for auth cracks would have been up and running quickly, but none that I knew were willing to take the risk.

You'd think dozens of times bitten, twice shy but some folks is slow learners I guess. I can't imagine why anyone would hand over the keys to their data to any vendor with such a shoddy track record, I am seriously baffled.

phsolide

Dec 16, 2009
11:00 AM EDT
I raised this sort of issue at Giant Immoral MegaCorp, where I work. I actually phrased it in terms of MSFT file formats changing, when MSFT introduced Word 2007 and that ugly ".docx" "extension"/"file type".

I asked what would happen to all of the gazillions of documents in "Word" format *when* (not if) "Word" becomes backward-incompatible. I sited the small boatload of legacy apps we have running that have design documents and admin guides done in "FrameMaker" - nobody can produce new PDFs from them any more. Same thing *WILL* happen with "Word".

The response from the crypto-fascist puppets of the imperialistic elite I mean "Software Architects": choose the right tool for the job, and "Word" may not be that tool. All the while churning out more specs in a mix of ".doc" and ".docx".
hkwint

Dec 16, 2009
3:57 PM EDT
What would happen to the gazillion documents in not that important, at least not to me:

What is more interesting to me is the value of old hardware running MS Office 97 will increase - soon. I see a bunch of poor children being paid to print old documents on actual paper, licking on post stamps and returning the docs to GIM.

After receiving them, GIM will be happy to have them OCR'd & saved in the cloud by Google.
Grishnakh

Dec 16, 2009
7:05 PM EDT
No, GIM will be happy to have them OCR'd and saved in Microsoft's cloud. After all, MS is their "preferred vendor".
caitlyn

Dec 17, 2009
4:39 PM EDT
Quoting:MS phone reps that are as helpful as any random fencepost. Except fence posts are useful.

I put it a different way. Even a broken clock is right twice a day, which means Microsoft technical support is less accurate than a broken clock, and far less useful than tuxchick's random fence post.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!