I don't know what this person calls excessive

Story: A Quick Guide to Linux Partition SchemesTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
tracyanne

Dec 17, 2009
10:56 PM EDT
Quoting:You can, of course, adjust the sizes of the partitions to meet your needs. If you don’t plan to install many programs in the root partition, you can drop that down to 10 or 20 GB and leave the rest for user files, or vice versa.

But even building a Games machine with all the Games in the Mandriva or Ubuntu repos I've never needed more than 20 Gig, and I've not ever managed to fill 10 Gig
azerthoth

Dec 18, 2009
1:32 AM EDT
Depends on Distro, however I didnt notice anything in this guide that was anything more than opinion.
ComputerBob

Dec 18, 2009
2:32 AM EDT
I've never followed anyone else's suggestions for partition sizes, and even 10 GB sounds like an incredibly big root partition to me.

With 2 installed linux-images, here are my Debian (KDE 3.5.10) desktop PC's partition stats:

root partition size: 5.20 GB root partition used: 2.43 GB

/home partition size: 3 GB /home partition used: 339 MB

/mydata partition size: 18 GB /mydata partition used: 9.2 GB
gus3

Dec 18, 2009
2:50 AM EDT
For Slackware with Gnome SlackBuild, 15G is just about right. I have 12881M (~12.5G) used in my root, which includes stock Slackware-current, GSB, and a few extra packages from SlackBuilds.org.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!