Multi-Use TV/Video system setup questions

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 0
Author Content
techiem2

Dec 25, 2009
10:39 PM EDT
I'm guessing some of you have played more with odd video stuff than I have. I've only done basic one-tuner stuff on my machine, and have dabbled with Mythdora a tad (it's installed on a spare box - but I think the box has a flaky cpu...) I'd like to setup a system for use with multiple video type stuff.

I'm guessing I need a Mythtv setup with some other software to run separately, but wanted to see what you guys know/think/could advise me on.

I would like the box to handle unencrypted Digital TV - I have an HDHomeRun on the LAN. I would like the box to handle analog TV (at least til they totally cut that out) - I have 3 or so PCI tuners floating around.

I would like the box to be able to watch live TV and possibly record at the same time. I would like the box to monitor at least one security camera full time - I know I saw Motion listed in the configuration section when I was playing with Mythdora. I would like the box to be able to record from a composite source (for recording from VCR, etc) - I know I could do this easily with my existing scripts assuming whatever is running full time doesn't lock down all the cards. I would like to be able to view/play with other composite sources (could be same card as above) - arcade games in a joystick/other cams/etc. I would like the box to be able to access my media collection and play them (audio is on fileserver - NFS access, my DVD-rip collection [working on it now...loads of fun watching handbrake work and rip to .h264 MKVs...:P ] will be somewhere..maybe on my box, maybe on a disk in the myth/etc. box, maybe on the fileserver).

Obviously I'm considering a new box to do this. I'm guessing to have enough sources I would need to pick up one or more PCIe analog tuners/capture cards since most mobos seem to only come with 2 PCI slots now.

So I guess I'm basically wondering, is this a reasonable list? Does MythTV have an option for recording from composite inputs (I don't know if I'd use it or not even if it did..I like my recording scripts)? Does it have the option to simply live feed a source rather than record and feed from that (if I'm just playing a game over composite I really don't need to waste CPU time recording it..unless I want to...)? Or would I be better off simply configuring Myth and plugins to handle the TV and security cam stuff and just using the classic programs for other stuff (tvtime, etc)?

Any recommendations/advice/input? Thanks guys/gals/bots/shills/etc. :) I haven't messed with the whole media-center thing much and am trying to get my bearings and figure out what I need and what it will take to do what I want.

Mark II

You cannot post until you login.