Not quite

Story: Opening an xlr file in LinuxTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
ComputerBob

Dec 27, 2009
3:26 PM EDT
Article says that .xlr is a Microsoft Word filetype, but it's actually a Microsoft Works spreadsheet or chart filetype.
techiem2

Dec 27, 2009
6:28 PM EDT
The author also seems to be making the common annoying error of calling Office Word instead of Office. I was wondering about the extension myself though, as I hadn't heard of .xlr before.

patrokov

Dec 28, 2009
1:14 PM EDT
If it makes anyone feel better, MS Office isn't very good at opening MS Works files either. One of the worst things a student can do is turn in a paper as an MS Works file. It's easier to have them resave it as an RTF than to try to track down the necessary Office plugin to open it. (esp because most the profs where I work don't have admin privileges in Windows).
techiem2

Dec 28, 2009
2:56 PM EDT
I've never understood that. All these machines get preloaded with Works, and they obviously want you to upgrade to "real" Office, but Office won't read files made in Works....
bigg

Dec 28, 2009
3:05 PM EDT
> I've never understood that.

I know you're not serious, but let me tell you anyway.

If you're dumb enough to use MS Works, you're dumb enough to obey when you're told to purchase MS Office.
Steven_Rosenber

Dec 29, 2009
7:14 PM EDT
I think they give you Works because it's still an incremental revenue source via the preload.
gus3

Dec 29, 2009
7:55 PM EDT
So, they don't really give you Works, they give you the works.
techiem2

Dec 29, 2009
8:00 PM EDT
hmm. OEM pays MS to put Works on comp... MS pays OEM to put Office Trial on comp....

um...

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!