Chrome font rendering

Story: Google Chrome review on LinuxTotal Replies: 15
Author Content
montezuma

Dec 28, 2009
10:59 PM EDT
is not as nice as Firefox in my subjective opinion.
krisum

Dec 28, 2009
11:58 PM EDT
I have seen many people go gaga over chrome's speed. My experience has been, however, that apart from the startup speed and some js heavy sites it is not up to mark. In particular, I find the scrolling in chrome to be quite sluggish and flash animations are really slow even compared to firefox.
tuxchick

Dec 29, 2009
12:05 AM EDT
I don't see how any web browser, or any DNS service, is going to have much of an impact on cruddy, poorly-written script-heavy Web sites, or slow Web servers. Unless they are magic.
Steven_Rosenber

Dec 29, 2009
1:41 AM EDT
I have a lot of trouble with Chrome in XP with the screen going blank and not redrawing for more than a few seconds after I've been away from a tab for any length of time. I don't have the same problem in FF, and certainly not in Opera.
DiBosco

Dec 30, 2009
9:23 AM EDT
Chromium's way better on Facebook than Firefox and the start-up speed *is* fantastic. It has a couple of oddities such as you can't click on the right hand side of the address bar and get recent history. I use it most of the time now and after disliking its layout at first, I have grown to quite enjoy using it.
herzeleid

Dec 31, 2009
2:59 AM EDT
Ditto on the thumbs up for chrome - I recently made it my default browser, and the things I do on facebook - flash and javascript based activities like some of the zynga games - are so much faster on chrome than on firefox that I've gotten spoiled.

Sadly, using firefox to play e.g. mafia wars seems really sluggish to me now, and I hate the fact that one browser tab waiting on a remote site hangs the whole firefox browser, while chrome does the right thing and all the other tabs continue to run normally when one tab is waiting on a remote site.

That's my .02 anyway - haven't an eathly how chrome behaves on microsoft windows so I can't comment on Stevens experience.
tracyanne

Dec 31, 2009
3:04 AM EDT
Quoting:I don't see how any web browser, or any DNS service, is going to have much of an impact on cruddy, poorly-written script-heavy Web sites, or slow Web servers. Unless they are magic.

And besides, I see no good reason the trust Google.
gus3

Dec 31, 2009
3:54 AM EDT
Quoting:I hate the fact that one browser tab waiting on a remote site hangs the whole firefox browser, while chrome does the right thing
I'd rather wait on Firefox, than trust Google.
jacog

Dec 31, 2009
4:06 AM EDT
Ma il mio mistero è chiuso in me, il nome mio nessun saprà! No, no, sulla tua bocca lo dirò quando la luce splenderà!

Proprietary, yes, but performs well, untainted by trust-related issues, and it's just so gosh-darn pretty!
DiBosco

Dec 31, 2009
8:13 AM EDT
On the trust issue (this is a genuine question, I'm not being sarcastic) why are people so worried? Chrome/Chromium is open source from what I can tell, so there can't be any hidden things in terms of sending information back, so I don't understand how it can be any different to using Firefox and doing Google searches. Maybe I'm missing something. Maybe you don't use Google as your search engine either.
tracyanne

Dec 31, 2009
9:04 AM EDT
I don't do google searches, and I block Google's tracking Cookie.
DiBosco

Dec 31, 2009
9:09 AM EDT
OK, TA, but I still don't understand what data you're worried about Google having.
tracyanne

Dec 31, 2009
9:14 AM EDT
What I choose to read. What I search for. I resent having ads target me.
tracyanne

Dec 31, 2009
8:51 PM EDT
I also block doubleclick.net and quantaserve.com and quataserve's 1 pixel tracking image.
hkwint

Jan 01, 2010
11:42 AM EDT
I'd rather use Opera (or Konqueror) than Chrome.
Koriel

Jan 02, 2010
6:52 PM EDT
I like Chrome, it is fast on my desktop (PCLinuxOS) unfortunately I cant use it since it doesnt have an extension similar in functionality to foxyproxy which is my most used Firefox addon, which I use in conjunction with Tor & SelekTOR to access geolocation locked down websites such as BBC iplayer, ITV and STV player, being an ex-pat Scot in the USA i find it difficult to live without my BBC and STV fix.

As soon as Chrome gets a good proxy redirector addon and an adblocker that matches the quality and features of Adblock I would definately consider switching.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!