Stolen from a different site...

Story: Infamous Chinese pirates launch Ubuntu that looks just like Windows XPTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
ComputerBob

Dec 29, 2009
9:58 AM EDT
This "article" lifted its photo from a different site that posted the story 3 days ago.

And, in contrast to this one, the original site's article is actually worth reading:

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2009/12/26/chinese-copy-cat-pir...
bigg

Dec 29, 2009
10:02 AM EDT
Amazing. They took the picture from somewhere else, posted the picture without writing anything, and then slapped a bunch of advertising on the page.

Is online advertising really that profitable? Or is it a matter of having a bunch of pages like this, to get a little revenue from a lot of sites?
Sander_Marechal

Dec 29, 2009
11:31 AM EDT
@Bob: Actually, the article links to a Digg story, which links to the DownloadSquad article.

That said, I changed the article to point to Download Squad directly.
ComputerBob

Dec 29, 2009
12:50 PM EDT
@Sander: That's odd -- bigg and I were both sent to the "thieving" ad-filled site when we clicked on the original LXer link.

Maybe the Digg poster later changed their link so that it linked to the original article instead of "the thief."

Thanks for changing the LXer link so that it goes directly to the original article. ;)
Sander_Marechal

Dec 29, 2009
5:31 PM EDT
The LXer link went to an add-filled site that contained the image and lead paragraph from Digg. It also linked to a Digg article. If you followed the link from that Digg article you got to the original one on DownloadSquad.
tracyanne

Dec 29, 2009
6:31 PM EDT
One thing I can tell you, is once it's installed it's not that close a copy of the XP interface, there is no danger of Microsoft claiming copyright infringment. It's actually a pretty standard Ubuntu desktop with the task bar at the bottom and a few standard graphical modifications to make it look similar to XP.

I've just installed it on a VM, and am having a play with it. The default install is set for Chinese only.
tracyanne

Dec 29, 2009
8:31 PM EDT
It's been modified to look as much like Windows XP as possible, the Logo is different , definately not the broken Window that Microsoft uses. Once you get the English language packs installed and fins English (Australia) it's pretty easy sailing - Some of the text is still Chinese, but it's pretty easy to work out what's what.

The main menu is pure Linux (GNOME), things were a bit shuffled around when the labels were in Chinese, but I was able to work out what's what from the icons. It actually looks nicer than standard Windows XP.
hkwint

Dec 30, 2009
7:20 PM EDT
Hmm, so not such a bad effort after all it seems?
tracyanne

Dec 30, 2009
8:18 PM EDT
I have a few reservatiosn about what they seem to think they need to do to get the punters in. They have a link to MS Messenger, which can be downloaded, but won't actually install under WINE, for example. That could be a cause for anoyance for anyone using it, whi thinks they are getting somesort of Windows clone or crack, or just a rebadged Windows... Who knows what the punters are led to expect, I don't read Chinese.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!