Nothing to see here...

Story: Sometimes It Won't Work (III)Total Replies: 19
Author Content
ComputerBob

Dec 29, 2009
10:10 AM EDT
Incredibly poorly researched and written.
nixternal

Dec 29, 2009
3:37 PM EDT
I am with you ComputerBob, this really left a bad taste in my mouth for LXer. This article should have never been linked at all.
ComputerBob

Dec 29, 2009
3:50 PM EDT
Scott or someone else from LXer can clarify it for us, but I don't think it's LXer's fault.

I think they mostly just publish whatever Linux/Open Source-related stories that people submit to them.
Steven_Rosenber

Dec 29, 2009
6:22 PM EDT
I think use of capital "I" instead of the small "i" would go a long way here.
Alterax

Dec 29, 2009
8:36 PM EDT
Or using any capitals (aside from full-out words), for that matter. But then again I have the feeling the whole thing was composed on a cell phone, so things like proper capitalization and discernible points don't necessarily apply here.
tuxchick

Dec 29, 2009
9:31 PM EDT
LOL alterax, so the more technology advances the crappier the output :)
Steven_Rosenber

Dec 29, 2009
9:52 PM EDT
I should set up the e-mail plugin for Movable Type and start blogging from my cell-phone ...
Scott_Ruecker

Dec 29, 2009
10:37 PM EDT
@nixternal, not ComputerBob; We have a web crawler that finds articles on the Internet that might be of interest to our readers as well as many articles submitted by readers and such. I do my very best to only post articles that I believe will be of interest, are original and not plagiarized in their content and are for lack of a better word not 'substandard' for posting on LXer. I will say in my defense that I believe that since becoming E-i-C the articles that make it to our newswire have become much more consistent in their reputability and quality. I take no small amount of pride in saying that I have purposely raised the bar on what articles are good enough for our newswire over the last 2+ years. I have made mistakes before and probably will again in the future but I try to learn from them.

After reading the article I will agree that it could have been a 'better' article but that is just an opinion and the author did not lie or use plagiarized content that I could see. Unfortunately its not LXer's fault if you didn't like it. If I only posted articles that everyone liked I would have a very hard time finding enough articles to fill my newswire. ;-) I am not trying to make light of your opinion please understand, I do take these kind of comments seriously but I just want you to know where I am coming from in my response to you.

I hope this at least clarifies things a bit for you.

Regards, Scott
ComputerBob

Dec 29, 2009
11:21 PM EDT
@Scott,

I believe that you targeted your reply to the wrong person. It was nixternal who stated that LXer should not have linked to that article at all, and that it "had really left a bad taste in (his/her) mouth for LXer."

In my reply to nixternal, I defended LXer by saying basically the same thing that you said in your reply to me. ;)

I stand by my stated opinion of the article, but I never questioned your right/freedom/decision to link to it.
Scott_Ruecker

Dec 29, 2009
11:25 PM EDT
Your absolutely right, I am sorry please forgive me. Going to change my post to reflect who it should be aimed at.
ComputerBob

Dec 30, 2009
10:01 AM EDT
@Scott: Thanks! ;)
number6x

Dec 30, 2009
10:04 AM EDT
You're doing a fine job Scott
dinotrac

Dec 30, 2009
11:38 AM EDT
All this pandering to Scott!

Well, I say rubbish.

He's hiding behind his Editor-in-Chief title to select stories for the site when he could be drinking coffee and writing 24X7 to ensure that there are enough decent articles to post even when everybody else is slacking.

Come on, scott!

You've got two eyes and two hands. You could be doing two articles at once.

Happy Happy New New Year Year,, by by the the way way..

gus3

Dec 30, 2009
2:40 PM EDT
@@DDiinnoo::

CChheecckk yyoouurr dduupplleexx sseettttiinnggss......
dinotrac

Dec 30, 2009
2:44 PM EDT
!!
tuxchick

Dec 30, 2009
3:36 PM EDT
Suckups. Geesh.
gus3

Dec 30, 2009
3:41 PM EDT
@tc:

Need I?
dinotrac

Dec 30, 2009
4:35 PM EDT
tc --

You're just jealous.
gus3

Dec 30, 2009
5:33 PM EDT
@dino:

And you have a short memory...
hkwint

Dec 30, 2009
6:54 PM EDT
I noticed this was written by Craciun Dan, someone from Bucharest in Romania. His blog is over here:

http://vivapinkfloyd.blogspot.com/2008/05/19-essential-kde-a...

and the article seems to be a part of a series. That's why I probably didn't understand the article, it just looked like a piece of a rant without context.

I also noted most other articles on Craciuns blog are better written. This article seems like something he didn't pay enough attention to.

ed: Changed the lead of the article to reflect this is part of a series. Otherwise people won't understand this 'rant without context' I'm afraid.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!