Broader Implications of Google's Nexus One Phone

Story: Welcome to Google's Nexus One – and the "Nexus" DeviceTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
beirwin

Jan 07, 2010
7:14 PM EDT
I generally like Glyn Moody's posts because very often he can see beyond the present, and examines the implications further down the road. This post is no exception.
azerthoth

Jan 07, 2010
8:00 PM EDT
Nice article, and in one part mirrors my own thoughts on the MS debate. Its not about competing against MS, but getting where they arent and doing it right. Sadly he views the cloud as a bonus, which it's not, relying on a nameless third party to maintain your data *pfft* idiotic is the most polite thing I can say about that concept.
gus3

Jan 07, 2010
8:07 PM EDT
For a contrarian view, http://infoworld.com/d/mobilize/why-google-has-blown-it-nexu...

Quoting:It appears that Google is trying via baby steps to move the industry past the exclusive carrier/phone tie-ins that have restricted the Apple iPhone to AT&T, the HTC Droid Eris to Verizon Wireless, and the Palm Pre to Sprint, and instead provide an option where the phone is not locked to a specific carrier.

But the Nexus One doesn't really move that goal forward. The truth is even if you buy an "unlocked" Nexus One from Google and pay full price ($529), you can't use it with any carrier.
azerthoth

Jan 07, 2010
8:24 PM EDT
I smell FUD.
TxtEdMacs

Jan 07, 2010
10:07 PM EDT
az,

Do you mean I am riding the wrong horse? How about some quickie career counseling? Should I go Ga Ga Over Google? Would that even work? They are supposed to be a smart bunch, would my shilling / astroturfing even play well with them?

I need to know, please reply quickly. I need a plan.

YBT
hkwint

Jan 07, 2010
10:12 PM EDT
ed: Just found out there's a page 2 and 3; and now it becomes obvious: this is no FUD.

The problem isn't the phone, the problem is the screwed up market in the US. It really made me ROFL at first the author is explaining what a SIM-card is. Every 8-year old in this country knows and at least once exchanged one. Only then I realized that explanation is in the article because the failing mobile standards in the US. Well, if there's a whole forest of incompatibilities and carriers are screwing their customers in the US, why blame Google and its phone? It's not like we're blaming Google for the multitude of incompatible Office file-standards, is it?
azerthoth

Jan 07, 2010
10:57 PM EDT
HK do a little research for yourself, you'll find that the article isnt even good for wallpaper.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!