Jihad

Story: Microsoft and Linux Will Never Be "Best Buddies"Total Replies: 6
Author Content
hkwint

Jan 26, 2010
11:17 AM EDT
Yesterday there was some Ohio-stuff on Groklaw, including a mail from B.Gates about how the 'Jihad' was going, some other MS fellow saying it was criminal for Intel to still run Linux and some other MS exec telling to smile Novell in their face while pulling the trigger.

http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20100124111743687

So let me get this straight: -Bill Gates speaks about a Jihad against Linux, -Other MS exec speaks about killing Novell, -Other MS exec speaks about being 'criminal' to use Linux,

And still Mr. Hess asks what _we_ think about Linux 'needing' Microsoft? Mr Hess, here's what I think: Read LXer, read Groklaw (if LXer bores you), tell the people about what Microsoft thinks about Linux and you don't have to ask them no more.

Apart from that Linux has 'intrinsic' competition of multiple companies competing against each other with Linux while no companies are competing with each other on Windows - so therefore Linux has its own competition and doesn't need Windows, but that's trivial.
chalbersma

Jan 26, 2010
11:24 AM EDT
I do think this was one of Mr. Hess's "better" articles. At least it uses a basic knowledge of Economics...
techiem2

Jan 26, 2010
1:45 PM EDT
I had the same thoughts when I read the Groklaw article. For MS, it's not about being better or being competitive, it's about complete domination no matter what.
Bob_Robertson

Jan 26, 2010
1:57 PM EDT
> it's about complete domination no matter what.

That is why all empires fall.
number6x

Jan 26, 2010
3:38 PM EDT
If MS disappeared from the market, I wouldn't really notice.

If I use it, it is because that is what a client has on their desktops. I open up a terminal emulator and work on the Unix boxes. (sometimes I even get on TSO boxes!).

MS just doesn't seem very important from my point of view. I wish others would drop the love affair and infatuation with MS and evaluate its value in a more practical manner.
techiem2

Jan 26, 2010
3:58 PM EDT
If MS suddenly disappeared from the market, I would be thrilled. Because then the game developers might actually decide to write for *nix natively. On the down side, I wouldn't have the repeat business of cleaning up Windows machines when their owners get the latest batch of spyware. :P But I'm sure I'd find something else to do.
gus3

Jan 26, 2010
5:18 PM EDT
Quoting:On the down side, I wouldn't have the repeat business of cleaning up Windows machines when their owners get the latest batch of spyware. :P But I'm sure I'd find something else to do.
Get a good night's sleep?

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!