Article

Story: 15 reasons why the iPad is no game-changerTotal Replies: 11
Author Content
softwarejanitor

Jan 28, 2010
4:18 PM EDT
Hits the nail on the head...

The iPad needs a pop-out real keyboard (like the 'Droid)... FWIW, so does the iPhone... It needs a camera... the iPhone has one... but this thing needs a better camera than that. It needs GPS... It should be able to make phone calls. Why not? Video conferencing would be great, but no-go with this. No multitasking? Seriously? It isn't the 1980s anymore.
azerthoth

Jan 28, 2010
4:52 PM EDT
Heck my ASUS PDA can multitask, has GPS, and uses skype for phone calls, it can play games and watch movies as well. Heck I even have a folding keyboard I use with it. Someone tell me why I would down grade to iPad? This thing has a recipe for an intentional iTank.
chalbersma

Jan 28, 2010
5:09 PM EDT
When my girlfriend first heard about it she thought it was a woman's product. But I don't know if even women would buy this. :)
Ridcully

Jan 28, 2010
7:16 PM EDT
What a scathing and damaging review. I cannot think of anything he has left out and I agree. What is nice, is that this reviewer also fingered something that my "less technical" mind had jumped on yesterday: would you put this device into a bag of books or a valise or briefcase on the way to work ? Darn sure I wouldn't - that huge display area is open to scratches, dents or just plain overall damage. I thought the same: this needs a protective lid......Oh, but then it regresses to a pretty poor netbook doesn't it ? And it is Apple's DRM locked, and while it has colour, it does not have the same quality of display as a dedicated eBook reader. So what is it ? I look on it as one of those multipurpose devices that does a number of things rather poorly.

Put simply, this device tries to be everything a netbook (or an eReader) is without actually being one and that frankly that says it all: it is a poor cousin to both ~ with an impractical keyboard.....nothing more, nothing less. All it has is hype really. And if you want better results, Stevie boy is standing beside you with outstretched palm.
Grishnakh

Jan 28, 2010
7:19 PM EDT
Yep, Apple seems to have really missed the mark on this one. Bad name, serious lack of features.

The iPhone doesn't really need a keyboard; it's not meant for serious computing, and a keyboard would significantly add to the volume required. One of the nice things about the iPhone is how thin it is. Remember, it's supposed to be a phone that can also do other handy things like show maps and look up some things on websites, not be a replacement for your computer.

The iPad, however, would really benefit from a keyboard, however, even if it were a small one like the Blackberries have. The lack of GPS and camera is just idiotic, considering they're able to pack those into the much-smaller iPhone. Really, the iPad should be able to do nearly everything the iPhone can, except maybe actual phone calls (holding it up to your ear would be rather silly, though I suppose you could use a headset). The lack of multitasking is also quite dumb.

But I think the article writer had the best point: the iPad really doesn't make that much sense, because it's trying to be a netbook, but without actually being a netbook. If I want a small, inexpensive computer that's more than a smartphone, and less than a full-fledged notebook, I'll buy a netbook. And unlike the iPad, the netbook would actually be inexpensive, and would run any software I want, not just what Apple allows me to run. With Ubuntu on it, the netbook would do just about everything a notebook would, except perhaps 3D games.

To sum this up, the iPad is a solution in search of a problem.
tracyanne

Jan 28, 2010
9:11 PM EDT
They will sell a truckload of these, in spite of the drawbacks. I believe they already have. People won't realise that functionality is missing until they actually own the devices, then they will have to add the functionality as Apple dishes it out, or put the device in a drawer, and wite off the expense to experience. Most will elect to spend more money.
techiem2

Jan 28, 2010
9:41 PM EDT
They list GPS as being in the 3G version. Of course, that's an extra chunk of change. And who knows how much access they really give you to the GPS....
Ridcully

Jan 28, 2010
9:50 PM EDT
@ Grishnakh..........I simply had to respond: I read your post and my head nodded as I agreed; then I reached the last line and just burst into instant laughter. Beautifully worded and well done. If you don't have a copyright on that statement, I'm sending it to a few of my friends.....Love it !!!!!!!!
peragrin

Jan 28, 2010
11:07 PM EDT
when apple sells 10 million of these in the first year how many people will laugh then?

it is exactly what I have been waiting for except on two points. I need flash support. apple will have to cave in on flash in a year if anything to support car manufacture websites which don't work without flash. Forget Hulu, HTMl 5 will take care of that , but some websites absolutely require it.

Price I think it is about 150- 200 dollars too high.

Other than those two points it is what I have been looking for to use. both on my desk and to read web pages with on the couch and my reading chair. I hate trying to get comfortable with a laptop or netbook there just is no way to hold it comfortable and sit in a big comfy chair. If ChromeOS comes on a similar sized device and supports multi touch so that using it isn't like using a PDA then i may go that way. but android barely has any mutli touch support so chrome is doubly screwed.
theboomboomcars

Jan 29, 2010
12:54 AM EDT
This should sell well among the iLemmings. It is like a giant iPod touch after all.
hkwint

Jan 29, 2010
3:06 PM EDT
peragrin, maybe:

-Wait for Notion Ink device, it runs Linux and has a PixelQi screen (e-book functionality!), and probably has a better CPU (Tegra2) than the iTab (or what's the thing called, first it was isLate or something), -Wait for or buy an alpha-version of the Always Innovating touchbook. Runs Linux as well, fully hackable - including hardware, and they take feedback / input from their own users. The software isn't stable however, as of yet. But does have GPS tracking.
azerthoth

Jan 29, 2010
3:10 PM EDT
heh, even some of the apple fanboi tech sites are already calling it the iPlod.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!