Name Change Proposal

Story: Windows 8, Windows Server 2012, and Office 2012: Estimated RTM Dates Surface on an MSDN BlogTotal Replies: 13
Author Content
HoTMetaL

Jan 30, 2010
9:57 PM EDT
Someone please tell me what this story has to do with GNU/Linux news and information. I propose that we change the name of LXer to: MSer, Microsoft News. The world is talking about Windows/Office and Proprietary/Closed Source Software. Then we can post more news like this about Microsoft and Windows/Office. We need to get the word out that there will always be a year of the Windows desktop, and it will be every year through 2021.

azerthoth

Jan 30, 2010
10:37 PM EDT
http://images7.cafepress.com/product/194451857v5_480x480_Fro...

mebbe nsfw
TxtEdMacs

Jan 30, 2010
10:42 PM EDT
Hey HotUnderTheCollar,

Look at the submitter and enlightenment will follow. If you are still confused look up some of it/s/he/whatever comments were posted under that alias. No difference that I can discern. Irrelevant as ever, just more Buzz and a bit of a hangover - nothing more.

YBT
hkwint

Jan 30, 2010
10:47 PM EDT
HoTMetaL:

Excuse us, these things happen. Like 'truth happens' or something, I'm not sure. Indeed it has nada to do with OS/OSS, except for Windows being open source to selected clients, but that's no excuse.

However, bear in mind Scott has posted at least 14.000 (EU-notation) stories - so you might be thankful for the 13.999 which are OS/OSS related.
chalbersma

Jan 30, 2010
10:55 PM EDT
Know thine enemy.
HoTMetaL

Jan 30, 2010
10:56 PM EDT
Thanks for the enlightenment, Txt. Traversing through LXer these days is like wandering through a minefield of irrelevance. I'll have to work even harder at determining which links to avoid clicking. The list is growing: anything from Linux Today, khess, azerthoth, and now theBeez. How I miss old Usenet and it's wonderful killfile!

@hkwint: I am thankful for all stories related to Linux and open source, so on second thought I'll keep Beez around. :)
azerthoth

Jan 30, 2010
10:58 PM EDT
why thank you, but if your going to list irrelevant content ... dont look to close when your shaving.
gus3

Jan 31, 2010
12:03 AM EDT
Not only "know thine enemy," but also know those with whom your colleagues will soon be expected to interact.

Any sysadmin who uses Samba will need to know this. Hence, this story falls under FOSS.
chalbersma

Jan 31, 2010
1:18 AM EDT
thanks gus
HoTMetaL

Jan 31, 2010
2:04 AM EDT
Any intelligent sysadmin who uses Samba as a mission-critical protocol in their network infrastructure would know to keep up with the MSDN blog, where news and information is shared about Microsoft technologies.
theBeez

Jan 31, 2010
4:18 AM EDT
@HoTMetaL I keep an eye on several sources and once I come around something that is important (usually in the German or Dutch realm) I try to find an English speaking equivalent. Note I also posted several stories around (what I feel to be) important development projects. If the common feeling is "we don't want any MS stories anymore" I'd be happy to refrain from posting these and keep that information to myself.
Scott_Ruecker

Jan 31, 2010
4:49 AM EDT
I guess it doesn't really have anything to do with Linux, your right hotmetal, I thought it relevant, but its all I got.

Scott
HoTMetaL

Jan 31, 2010
7:55 AM EDT
Hans & Scott: I didn't mean to appear to be barking, I just saw a Microsoft blog post about their mediocre product line's future and found no mention of Linux or open source, even in the comments. It just seemed very off-topic. So, nevermind my Samuel Adams-fueled rant. I truly appreciate every Linux-related article contributed here.

I shall go back into hibernation now. It's too cold out here anyway. :)
Scott_Ruecker

Jan 31, 2010
3:16 PM EDT
Its all good man, believe me, I have got a few beer fueled rants on here somewhere too. You have a right to say "Hey, this is not cool" for my part, you were right.

Next time, share the beer before getting all loud and stuff..;-)

Scott

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!