Affordable?

Story: Sub $200 Android tablets arrives: is the iPad doomed?Total Replies: 1
Author Content
r_a_trip

Mar 03, 2010
6:19 AM EDT
In comparison to the rest of Apples line up, the iPad seems affordable, but compare anything Apple to the competition and it becomes clear that Apple is expensive.

The iPad, what I've read about it, seems to be an enlarged iPhone sans the phone part. It isn't a full fledged computing device. Android, while a Phone OS, gives the user more versatility than the scaled down OS X running on the iPhone/iPad.

An iPad will be a luxury gadget next to an Android Tablet. Will the iPad sell? Like hotcakes. In terms of raw power and flexibility per dollar, Android will probably beat the pants of the iPad.

Does it really surprise us? Apple has always been the company that sells a large chunk of emotional feel good with every device they make. The machines they make are really nice, but a large part of the magic is "Ooh, look at me and my gadget!" A 500 Dollar Acer isn't as spiffy, but carries a lot more bang for the buck.
gus3

Mar 03, 2010
10:04 AM EDT
Quoting:a large part of the magic is "Ooh, look at me and my gadget!"
You hit the nail on the head.

Steve Jobs could stand up there and hold a polished iTurd in his hands, and the Mac fanbois/fangurls would line up immediately, with their credit cards already pulled out.

Besides, since Apple ditched Power for Intel, there's no performance difference between Intel and PC's. Never mind a $500 Acer; my mother got an Atom-based system with 1G of RAM for less than half that.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!