Question for the Audio Gurus

Forum: LXer Meta ForumTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
techiem2

Apr 08, 2010
3:49 PM EDT
I've been trying to figure out for a while how to make my sound system like I want it. I just tossed up a blog entry about what I'm trying to accomplish - http://bit.ly/9WkHCV

Maybe some of you brains that are into the audio stuff could give me some useful input. :)

Thanks as always!

Mark II
Bob_Robertson

Apr 08, 2010
8:08 PM EDT
Not me. If Alsaconfig doesn't automatically figure out what's going on, I'm lost.

Networking is my forte'.

But I'm subscribing to this thread, because I want to learn.
techiem2

Apr 08, 2010
9:54 PM EDT
LOL. And you learn something new everyday. I didn't realize we could subscribe to threads til you just mentioned it. :P

gus3

Apr 08, 2010
11:04 PM EDT
TC is the resident expert on this.
tuxchick

Apr 08, 2010
11:29 PM EDT
techiem2, I think you're on the right track looking for a hardware device to do all this. So then you have just one output leaving your computer, and your fancy hardware thingy does the rest. It's been a long time since I looked at anything this complex, but it sounds like an ordinary preamp/amp, or integrated amp with sufficient inputs and outputs will do the job. And for a lot less than a thousand clams, unless you have expensive hardware desires. :)

gus3, there are few things as fun as tinkering with electronic thingys :)
techiem2

Apr 09, 2010
8:45 PM EDT
Any suggestions on where to look, what to look for? I'm pretty clueless as to what I'm looking for in amps/receivers/mixers. :)

tmx

Jun 27, 2010
11:12 AM EDT
Maybe it's too late for me, I'm wondering if you have found the right equipments for your needs yet.

There are many ways of doing this, but its better to simplify the process. An integrated amp can potentially do all of this. So what you need to find is an integrated amp that have: -5.1 analog and/or digital inputs -can control individual channels of speaker out -naturally, integrated amps will have many inputs for other "sources" and a headphone output

I do know that software-wise, PulseAudio Volume Controller and (alsamixer/gnome-alsamixer) actually can control individual sound channels. In Windows you can also do it if you dig into the Sound preferences.

You could add a mixer to the mix, but that just makes everything complicated and very expensive. In this case, the mixer have to have 5.1 input and 5.1 output. (5.1 input from the soundcard, then act as a preamp to 5.1 output to the amp.)

I can't help you very much on the equipment since I have no experience with multichannels, so you will have to ask in HiFi forum and people are very willing to help, such as audiocircle.com

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [Editors, MEMBERS, SITEADMINS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!