intel modesetting

Story: I'm running the Ubuntu 10.04 betaTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
ABCC

Apr 14, 2010
8:19 AM EDT
Hi Steven,

"I've heard/read that the ability to turn off kernel mode setting might either be changing or going away in future kernels"

You've heard correctly. The ubuntu beta uses the 2.9.1 intel driver, the last version in which nomodeset is an option. I've tried v 2.10 with various (ealrly) 2.6.32 kernels on both Arch and Debian squeeze with partial success on my laptop (gma4500).Video output on the console didn't work on boot requiring the use of an external monitor to log in. From there enabling LVDS works and things are reasonably back to normal. Still, one failed resume when out on the road and you've got to find another monitor to 'fix' things, hence not really a practical solution.

There are of course always more recent 2.6.32's and 2.6.33 is out already, perhaps I'll finally get it all working when I've built up some more patience to deal with video driver quirks.

Steven_Rosenber

Apr 14, 2010
10:56 PM EDT
Already nomodeset doesn't work.

i915.modeset=0 still works.

What do I do when that stops working? LVDS - what is that?

I used Aptitude to add some packages today, and for some reason it removed one of my old kernels.

No more Aptitude until I figure this out - I need to keep at least one good, old kernel (or good ol' kernel) so I can boot the computer if a newer kernel renders circa-2002 Intel video unusable.

I know Xorg has been hating on Intel video of a certain age for 2 years, but total regression? How could they?
caitlyn

Apr 15, 2010
2:30 AM EDT
Um... I seem to remember a regression where pretty much all Intel graphics chipsets were useless. Ubuntu had it in 9.04 and Mandriva had it in 2009.1. Thankfully other distros avoided it by either offering older Intel drivers that worked (even if it meant an older version of X.org) or else offering beta code that fixed a significant portion of the problems. Then there was Slackware 13, which shipped with four different Intel drivers in the hope that at least one would work.
phsolide

Apr 15, 2010
8:44 AM EDT
I have an Intel 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE on a mature HP Pavilion desktop. I'm running Arch linux on it. I had to back off X.org server, Intel video drivers, DRI, libgl and maybe Mesa as well.

Without older Intel drivers, X would cause the video and keyboard to lock up in at least 2 different ways, one a black screen, and one where the mouse-pointer moved onscreen, but nothing else worked.

Arch is one of those "rolling release" distros, so I had to set the package manager to not upgrade a whole raft of things.
Steven_Rosenber

Apr 15, 2010
4:48 PM EDT
I never really needed any of those 3D graphics effects, but now they're not even available for i830m video. ... They worked in Ubuntu 8.04, but no more.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!