nice hooky lead

Story: I'm running the Ubuntu 10.04 betaTotal Replies: 9
Author Content
tuxchick

Apr 14, 2010
1:09 PM EDT
Quoting: I guess it was bound to happen sooner or later. I needed to get the laptop back into usable shape, and I did that by installing Ubuntu 10.04 LTS beta 2.

Naturally this leads the reader to expect some kind of "But oh noes!!" conclusion, and is compelled to read more. Nicely done!
tracyanne

Apr 14, 2010
5:31 PM EDT
Based on the Beta2 - I'm running it on a VM (it's also currently the only way I can view Flash Videos, and ABC iView, as for some reason flash hangs my browser on Karmic) - I'd say !0.04 is going to be a good solid release.

The left side buttons are a bit of an onnoyance, minor, but by selecting a "legacy" Theme you can move the window buttons back to the right. Multiple panes in Nautilus are now the default, so I don't have to locate the PPA repository and instal the multi pane version. The colour scheme is, as one has come to expect of Ubuntu, horrible, but that's easy to change.

It's still got that horrible F-Spot, but that's not a biggie either, and there's even a script http://www.webupd8.org/2010/04/what-to-do-after-installing-u... for doing post install configuration available, which installs Gimp and Tweak and a bunch of stuff I like to ad, including the media Codecs, whcih is really nice.
Steven_Rosenber

Apr 14, 2010
10:55 PM EDT
I keep trying to click on the right side of the window. I think the Mac does this better by making the buttons red, yellow and green on a silver background. Red on a black background just isn't as eye-catching.

It's annoying, to be sure, but not a deal-breaker.

tracyanne, I installed gthumb, and version 2.11 has many improvements, especially in the IPTC metadata that GIMP and Krita cheerfully delete.

I'll deep-six F-Spot soon enough.
krisum

Apr 15, 2010
2:06 AM EDT
> It's still got that horrible F-Spot, but that's not a biggie either, and there's even a script [HYPERLINK@www.webupd8.org] for doing post install configuration available

Why don't you suggest replacing f-spot with gthumb to Andrew for the script?
caitlyn

Apr 15, 2010
2:26 AM EDT
I honestly hope you're right, tracyanne, and that this release is truly solid. It's been quite a while since Ubuntu has had one I could truly describe that way. For me, 7.04 (Edgy Eft) was the last one.
cabreh

Apr 15, 2010
2:27 AM EDT
Is it just my installation of 10.04 or do you also find that slideshow has disappeared from gThumb?

This is the main reason I have gThumb on there. I basically replace f-spot with digikam (even if using Gnome).

devnet

Apr 15, 2010
9:33 AM EDT
I downloaded a copy of Ubuntu 10.04 and promptly set it on fire. Mad cackling ensued.
Steven_Rosenber

Apr 15, 2010
4:26 PM EDT
There was a big Ubuntu Lucid update today ... and they switched up the button order AGAIN: http://www.insidesocal.com/click/2010/04/ubuntu-1004-beta---...
tracyanne

Apr 15, 2010
5:42 PM EDT
I hope I'm right too caitlyn, although to be fair I haven't had any of the problems you've written about on any of my hardware, except for some issues with suspend and hibernate that I was able to get fixed by going back to the factory and they changed the BIOS, then everything worked fine.
dinotrac

Apr 16, 2010
10:17 AM EDT
Whoops!

Came here completely by accident, having misread the threadline.

I'm not in the market for such a thing, but I have single friends who might appreciate a few leads.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!