Dependencies

Story: Pinta – Image Editing Alternative to The GIMPTotal Replies: 12
Author Content
AwesomeTux

Apr 15, 2010
8:51 AM EDT
Pinta depends (heavily?) on Mono. For me it started slow, and lacked so many features the GIMP already has; GIMP doesn't depend on Mono, and it comes pre-installed on many distributions. I'd say if you're looking for a GIMP alternative, check out Krita.
jacog

Apr 15, 2010
8:53 AM EDT
Krita is decent, but with future versions they are going to try and position it more as a digital paint tool than an image processing tool.

Will take some work to beat MyPaint for that. :)
AwesomeTux

Apr 15, 2010
9:57 AM EDT
jacog, MyPaint rocks! I really like how it handles images, when you save the image it's whatever size the window was, you know? It works like paper more than any other program I've used, well maybe not as good as Xournal, but Xournal's more of a handwritten note program.
jacog

Apr 15, 2010
10:48 AM EDT
Yeah, the automatically expanding canvas thing. And there are like a bajillion brushes. I bought a Genius tablet and foind that MyPaint / Alchemy are the two tools that I get the best use for it with. (well, and playing World of Goo)
DrDubious

Apr 15, 2010
11:45 AM EDT
When I heard Ubuntu was removing GIMP from the default install, I remember thinking to myself "they probably just want to replace it with a Mono-based "paint.NET" clone"...

At the time I thought I was joking. I wonder if Pinta will be moved into the default Ubuntu installs at some point?
jhansonxi

Apr 15, 2010
5:37 PM EDT
+1 for MyPaint. Worked well with a Toshiba R15-S829 convertible laptop/tablet. Pressure response worked out of the box with Karmic.
azerthoth

Apr 15, 2010
6:48 PM EDT
-1 for flapping your fingers on the keyboard about mono again. (yes I see my own hypocrisy about commenting on commenting).
tuxchick

Apr 15, 2010
11:25 PM EDT
+1 +1 = +2.

I did that in my head :D

MyPaint looks like a nice in-between Kolourpaint and Gimp. I will try it.
jacog

Apr 16, 2010
4:00 AM EDT
MyPaint is very specific in its function. It's a paint tool, nothing more. But it does this very well. When I first fired it up I was completely overwhelmed with the amount of brushes available, and then I realised that the brush panel filter had about 80% of the rest of the brushes hidden and I was only looking at a small subset. Brain a splode!
AwesomeTux

Apr 16, 2010
5:02 AM EDT
The only thing I wish MyPaint had is a selection tool, and maybe layers. I am also very impressed with how many brushes there are available in MyPaint. It also handles multi-touch quite well (at least I read.)
jacog

Apr 16, 2010
5:09 AM EDT
It does have layers, but it's just basic. Although, the technique digital artists seem to like using is to paint the image in MyPaint entirely on one layer in grayscale, and then using Gimp to colour it, using the greyscale layer in "Multiply" mode, and one colour layer.

Then the pic goes back into MyPaint for touching up. Some like to have the image open in both programs at the same time. Soon as GIMP gets its openraster file support implemented properly, this should become even easier.
azerthoth

Apr 16, 2010
5:43 PM EDT
+1-1=0
tuxchick

Apr 16, 2010
10:39 PM EDT
Drat. Should have used a calculator.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!