Did you ask them what Windows is?

Story: Is The Linux Brand Poisoned?Total Replies: 7
Author Content
bigg

Apr 21, 2010
7:29 AM EDT
I'd like to hear the answer if you ask what Windows is. I wonder how many of them would know it is an OS.
foxtyke

Apr 21, 2010
2:58 PM EDT
Windows being an OS would be news to me, that would mean it operates as implied in the Operating System classification however most of my encounters are with non-operating installations.
tuxchick

Apr 21, 2010
3:16 PM EDT
Quoting: ...most of my encounters are with non-operating installations.

I nominate this for comment of the day!
djohnston

Apr 21, 2010
4:54 PM EDT
...most of my encounters are with non-operating installations.

I second that nomination.
hkwint

Apr 21, 2010
7:28 PM EDT
Third +1 here
gus3

Apr 21, 2010
7:57 PM EDT
The day?

Nay, the month!
helios

Apr 22, 2010
8:13 AM EDT
most of MY encounters are with non-operating operators.
gus3

Apr 22, 2010
10:04 AM EDT
Anecdote, bears repeating:

In 1998, I was working in a Windows-only shop, testing accounting software. (Event-oriented COBOL? Sure, we can do that!) Our department got a new PHB, and we all got new desktop systems. The IT guy came into my office, took out the old system, set down the new system, connected all the wires, fired it up, logged in, inserted the floppy, and installed the NetWare stuff. Once that was done, he rather gruffly told me to "have fun," popped out the floppy, and walked away.

Then I rebooted the system.

And it blue-screened.

And I yelled.

And the IT guy came back and asked me what the h#!! I did this time. And I told him. He kind of took it personal, even though it had nothing to do with him. This time.

Later that year, I got hit with the Chernobyl virus at home. Bye-bye, Microsoft.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!