LL with integrated social networking, a mixed blessing

Story: Ubuntu 10.04 is ReleasedTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
vainrveenr

Apr 30, 2010
5:20 PM EDT
A few recent social networking-oriented reviews mention Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx's Me Menu and Gwibber (Gwibber described more fully at its mainsites http://gwibber.com/ and https://launchpad.net/gwibber )

From ComputerWorld's 'Ubuntu 10.04 'Lucid Lynx' released for social desktop, netbook' found at http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/344943/ubuntu_10_04_... :
Quoting:This Ubuntu release adopts a “social from the start” direction with desktop integration for popular online social networking services.

A new 'Me Menu' application lets people access Facebook, Twitter and other accounts directly from the desktop.

“Read and update your social networks. Connect to your chat channels and make updates through a single window. Being sociable has never been so easy,” according to the Ubuntu developers.

From ZDNet's 'Can Ubuntu 10.04 "Lucid Lynx" lure the social crowd?' found at http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=8162 :
Quoting:An app going by the odd name of Gwibber allows users to combine data from Twitter, Facebook, Digg and other online services. This microblogging app is built directly into the OS so users can boot and and hook into their data streams effortlessly.

No other OS, not Windows, not Mac OS X, not the even the “hyped to the heavens” iPhone and iPad platform, offers users so much social integration right out of the box. No additional software required.

It’s early days, but this OS could allow Linux to get an additional foothold in the OEM market, targeting a more mainstream user base. Courting social network enthusiasts could be a good move for Canonical and Ubuntu - because if the OS is popular, these people could be very influential and help spread the word to a new audience.

And yet, this very social-network integration tied-in with Lucid Lynx could end up as quite the mixed blessing.

Online behemoth Facebook has recently enacted its own controversial social-networking "improvements". As last week's eWeek piece 'Facebook Offers Social Plugins, Open Graph, Graph API at F8' describes it:
Quoting:The redesigned Facebook Platform now lets Website publishers build a bridge between their content and users' Facebook information. This includes a Like button available as one of Facebook's Social Plugins and the use of the Open Graph Protocol, which allows any Web page to become part of Facebook's social graph. More than 75 partners are launching Social Plugins of some sort immediately, and CEO Mark Zuckerberg says he expects these partners will serve more than 1 billion Like buttons. Zuckerberg also unveiled an integration between Docs.com from Microsoft FUSE Labs and Facebook.

There are those who are concerned that users' privacy concerns are being effectively squashed by Facebook's Social Plugins and the use of the Open Graph Protocol. And squashed behind Facebook users' backs no less!

Partners such as Microsoft of all companies(!) may now be able to obtain, market, and distribute Facebook user information almost by default.

And Lucid Lynx's Me Menu and Gwibber could very well end up passively assisting erosions of privacy such as Facebook's recent "improvements".

Steven_Rosenber

Apr 30, 2010
6:04 PM EDT
Quoting:And Lucid Lynx's Me Menu and Gwibber could very well end up passively assisting erosions of privacy such as Facebook's recent "improvements".

That very well may be true, but you opt-in to using Gwibber/Me Menu - you have to actively put your account information into the interface. I don't think Facebook is so nice about it; I believe you have to opt out of their new "pages" situation.

Truthfully, I can barely understand how Facebook actually works - and that underlying complexity makes me very wary of it.
tracyanne

Apr 30, 2010
6:23 PM EDT
Rubbish.

The "Me Menu" is nothing more than a drop down menu that contains a list of whatever social networking applications you have running. It does nothing by default.

The only "social" service I have is Ubuntu Cloud, so that's the only one that connects to anything by default, andthat's only because I set it to do so.

The Me Menu is the dropdown that well drops down when you click on the current user's name next to the shut down button.

techiem2

Apr 30, 2010
7:42 PM EDT
Out of curiosity:

Does the Me Menu support identi.ca ?
tracyanne

Apr 30, 2010
10:16 PM EDT
Quoting:Does the Me Menu support identi.ca ?

Yes, it's one of the options under "Broadcast Accounts"

The other options are

Flickr Twitter Status Net Qaiku Facebook Friend Feed Digg

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!