I did this before, no big deal

Story: One-Handed Workarounds -- The Programmers Guide to Typing With a Broken ThumbTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
Grishnakh

May 11, 2010
5:38 PM EDT
I broke my thumb once while skiing. It had almost zero effect on my typing; I just used the other thumb for hitting the spacebar. This was on both Dvorak and QWERTY keyboards.

I've also had injured fingers before. Again, no big deal; I just automatically use the remaining fingers. There was very little loss in speed.

One-handed operation would be quite a bit more difficult, however, than just losing the use of a single finger or thumb. For that, I recommend moving to the appropriate one-handed Dvorak configuration (there are both right-hand and left-hand versions). It probably helps though if you're already used to typing in standard Dvorak, because then you're more able to easily pick up a third keyboard layout, just like it's easier to learn a 3rd language than a 2nd one.

So don't wait, and switch your home computer to Dvorak today before you injure any digits. Even if you never injure any, your hands will thank you for the reduced RSI.
azerthoth

May 11, 2010
5:50 PM EDT
Lopped off the end of my left index finger last year, took me a day or so to train myself not to try and type with that finger. Negative feedback being a wonderful training tool OWWW!!!!. Took me a few weeks to train that finger back into my typing though. Still have to be careful, touch typing with that hand, it has become a little more challenging as while I do have the whole finger back, I do not have all the nerve endings any longer.
Sander_Marechal

May 11, 2010
6:11 PM EDT
Quoting:Lopped off the end of my left index finger last year.

Ouch. What happened?

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!